65 Chrysler 300L in San Jose, Ca

Hanover

Reaction score
image.jpgimage(1).jpg

Howdy all! Been a Mopar guy all my life. Grew up in a 69 Dart 340 GTS convertible, and when I got my license started snapping up E bodys, back when they could still be found for ~$1,000. Man, times have changed. Anyhow, been searching and searching for a Mopar driver. All E bodys are stupid over priced in my area, so I started looking at A bodies. I stumbled across a 65 300L on Craigslist, and I actually had no idea what it was. It was listed as a 300, but I fell in love with the style and started researching it. Found out the cal listed was a letter car. For $2,500 I thought it was a little steep since it had a lot of surface rust, and a broken 1/4 window. Figured I'd offer $2k. The next day I went out to a job site in the Los Gatos mountains to put in a few disconnects in a workshop, and noticed the place was littered with mid 60's A and C bodies. Of course I got excited and named off the cars and the owner was really friendly and told me about all the cars. I told him about the 300L I was looking at and hoping to acquire. Anyways, I started working and he comes over and tells me he has something to show me. I walk around the back of the shop, and he pulls a tarp off of a 65 300L he has had sitting for 10 years!!! I drooled over it for a bit, since this is the first one I've ever seen in person that I know of, then, again back to work. Comes over again and mentioned if the 300L I'm trying to get doesn't work out I can buy his, and 2 matching 65 Dart GT's for $750. I couldn't get to a ATM fast enough! Anyhow, the beast is now mine, and I sold both Darts to my friend for $400. Got her registered and fired up. Can't wait to get her home so the madness can begin. First, will be brakes, hopefully find a 73 disk front setup and convert to a dual circuit master, replace all fluids and belts/hoses then chuck the Firm Feel catalog at her suspension including F & R sway bars. Drive and enjoy, and start putting together a Megasquirt EFI 440 torque monster backed by a A518 trans and 3:55 limited slip. :)

P.S Theres a 65 Newport convertible parked in front of my car, I might bug him to see if that car is available too. :)

image.jpg

image(1).jpg

Thank you! I'll get some pictures up when she is safe at my house, and had a thorough detailing. I have a question, it currently has a 383 from a truck in her right now, but the #'s matching 413 is sitting on the ground nearby. It has a spun bearing. I'm not too concerned with doing a resto, this will be a fun driver for me (hence the 440 swap planned). I'd actually like to build the 413 but I do not know too much about them. Seems it has the same stroke as a 440, and I can turn up steel cranks pretty easily. The edelbrok heads should also bolt on, and rod lengths are the same. Now, does ANYONE make a 0 deck .030" over piston? I can't find 413 pistons to save my life right now.

Sounds like quite the score. You were in the right place at the right time. Welcome to the site.

Getting towed home right now, yay! She drives but doesnt stop. Pics after a bath soon. :)

Back