65 Fury small block swap or not???

Hipturd

Reaction score
Howdy, my 65 currently has a 1972 318 , 2 bbl . My goal would be to have some mild street performance. Lumpy idle, burn some rubber etc, nothing that makes car not streetable.

From a guy who’s Mopar knowings are limited, can that 318 be built to perform what I want ? It would be lot easier to do with existing engine

The Other option is there are a handful of late 60’s Chryslers for sale in my area with 383,440 bb for a couple grand I could pick up just for the engine. Would these bb be a pain in the *** to fit.

The '65's use a one year only mount. This means that you would probably need conversion mounts to put a big block in this car. Someone may have already installed these mounts to put the later engine in your car so that might not be a problem. I am not a big fan of building the 318 as a hot rod engine for the simple reason that you will spend as much to get 300hp out of a 318 as you would spend to get 400hp+ out of a 383. To build the big block, you will also need the big block 727 and the big block drive line. With a big block, you are starting with much better heads and a steel crank. $2k for a used big block is pretty spendy, so shop around. In a perfect world, you could find a '65 383 and the attached transmission, this would get you away from cable linkage problems if you wanted to keep the factory shifter.

The other option if you want to keep a 318, would be to find a '65 318 poly. The older engine has much better heads and exhaust and can be built to put out some decent horsepower but you would still have an iron crankshaft which is less than ideal for a performance engine. Or you could go with a much later LA series 318 with the magnum heads. You have a variety things you could do, but building the big block is still probably the best option.

Dave

I agree with the post above, never a fan of the 318, as a performance engine or otherwise. If you can swap in a 383 or 440 that is the way to go, check out Schumacher services for the motor mounts, it will also require a big block transmission. I like the 318 Poly block too and you can get nice performance out of them. Another simpler option may be a well built 360 or a crate 360 since you are already set up for the LA block with your 318.

The 318 LA motor is a really dependable piece, so that part is hard to beat.

Everything really depends on your budget and if you are good at turning wrenches. If you want to go to a big block, go with a 440. Hard to beat even in a basic stock condition. With it, you'll have to find a cable shift 727 that will work with your shifter. You'll also have to redo the exhaust and figure out the K-frame mounting etc. It's going to be a fair amount of work, but nothing that hasn't been done before.

That said, IMHO, probably the best bang for the buck would be a stroked 408 crate motor. No trans worries and since there's already a small block in there, you have minimal changes that need to be made.

You could also add a 4bbl manifold and swap rear gears in what you have now.

As said, it depends on your budget. You'll want to figure out what you want to spend (and double it LOL) and work out a plan. The stock 318 is tough to beat for a driver and you can wake it up without breaking the bank. You also want to consider gas prices and high octane availability in the next few years. One is going up and the other is headed down.

If you are looking for a little more performance keep the 318. Add an aluminum manifold and 4 barrel carb. A decent set of headers and a mild cam. Going with better gears in the rear end will help too. This can all be done without hanging the car up for a big block swap. You could still get a big block (go with a 440) and put together all the parts you will need for the swap. This way you can continue to drive with some more power until you are ready for the swap.

I would put in a 440 or better yet a V10 but that's just me :)

No really the 318 is one of the most dependable engines made. You can do allot with them to make them have more performance. You could also move up to a modern 360 magnum that would give you a big boost in power without a lot of head aches. If you swapped in a magnum you don't have to use the EFI you can swap on a carb intake and even use your stock distributor if you wanted. If you do that way, keep in mind you need a torque converter for the 360 as it is balanced different than the 318.

If you do pull the 318 don't toss the crankshaft. The pre 70 318's had forged cranks, I think, and it is the same crank as the 340 so someone will want it. I know all the old poli 318's had forged cranks but my brain is a little fuzzy on the LA 318.

I like the idea of putting in a modern hi-performance 360. You would be adding a lot of power to the car but not a lot of weight.

Since rthe engine is not original, if you want more power, with no need of all the necessary items to drop in a big block, go to a yard and find a nice 360. Instantly you'll have more power, then is you want to build it bigger, you will be able to go way beyond what a 318 would yield.

If the 318 was the factory motor I would beg you to leave it there.

If you are not too attached to it, sell the car and buy one with BB power.

Since rthe engine is not original, if you want more power, with no need of all the necessary items to drop in a big block, go to a yard and find a nice 360. Instantly you'll have more power, then is you want to build it bigger, you will be able to go way beyond what a 318 would yield.

If the 318 was the factory motor I would beg you to leave it there.
Are the 360’s mostly the same inside? Like does it matter if it came from a car or truck, 2 bb or 4, different heads etc.

The '65's use a one year only mount. This means that you would probably need conversion mounts to put a big block in this car. Someone may have already installed these mounts to put the later engine in your car so that might not be a problem. I am not a big fan of building the 318 as a hot rod engine for the simple reason that you will spend as much to get 300hp out of a 318 as you would spend to get 400hp+ out of a 383. To build the big block, you will also need the big block 727 and the big block drive line. With a big block, you are starting with much better heads and a steel crank. $2k for a used big block is pretty spendy, so shop around. In a perfect world, you could find a '65 383 and the attached transmission, this would get you away from cable linkage problems if you wanted to keep the factory shifter.

The other option if you want to keep a 318, would be to find a '65 318 poly. The older engine has much better heads and exhaust and can be built to put out some decent horsepower but you would still have an iron crankshaft which is less than ideal for a performance engine. Or you could go with a much later LA series 318 with the magnum heads. You have a variety things you could do, but building the big block is still probably the best option.

Dave
My car has factory air, would there be problems mounting that with a big block?

Dave
I thought the poly wasn’t a good choice for performance as the weight to power ratio wasn’t very good?

The poly 318 is not a bad engine but the LA series will make more power for less money. I had a 318 with the two four barrel carbs in my car originally. It was rated at 290hp. I had an Isky cam and Hedman headers and Jahns pistons. It ran pretty good. Over the years I've had a few of the LA series 318s and besides being lighter they are easier to get more power from. There is a lot of speed equipment available for these engines and you can get good power from them.

My car has factory air, would there be problems mounting that with a big block?
You would need the appropriate brackets, probably from a donor car. You will also need the big block pulleys for an A/C car.

Dave

Are the 360’s mostly the same inside? Like does it matter if it came from a car or truck, 2 bb or 4, different heads etc.
There were differences in the '70s. The best 360 was the E58, known as the Highway Patrol motor. My '79 Cordoba was the E56 360, still a 4bbl, and as far as I'm concerned, was a great motor. The 58 was supposed to have 20 more HP than the 56.

I had a 360 in my '87 Ramcharger I bought new. Excellent motor, with a Rochester Quadrajet spread bore carb on it. Surprised me as they were always "GM" carbs. Ran well. When the secondaries kicked in, they KICKED IN! But by the 80's, all 369s were truck motors. Even so, one should be easily found.

The 318 LA motor is a really dependable piece, so that part is hard to beat.
I swapped a Poly for a LA 318. Why? Because it was a low mileage engine that was swapped for a big block.Also it was free with a 904 to boot.
Budget is key. Low or not a problem ? My budget LA 318 mild build that sounds good and will light the tires.

IMG_2858.jpg

can that 318 be built to perform what I want

Yes, of course. A proper running 318 2bbl will light the tires a plenty.

Switching to a big block is ridiculous, the K member issue, "plowing" issues - oversteer - going around corners, and increased thirst for fuel.

You can take any stock 318 in decent health, and in basically one afternoon, stuff a Mopar Performance cam/lifters, Edelbrock intake/car, dual exhaust and get in plenty of trouble.

Next up on the list, the 340.

Seen Duster 340's put some serious hurt on cars with bigger engines in street races.

The 360 is a cast crank turd with terrible gas mileage, not for me.

The 383 as an option has a crazy amount of horsepower if properly massaged. If you want your back tires to last about three nights blowing away Fords and Chevys, get a big block and go around corners carefully.

I personally find that 2bbl engines are very very streetable, lots of low end torque, great intake velocity.

One night back in college, we all went out in a buddy's '70 GTO w/455, we're all pretty wasted the driver is roasting em around every corner in the neighborhood, and I didn't feel that it was really that impressive, so I invited everyone to get in my '71 Satellite Sebring Plus with a 383 2bbl and proceeded to pretty much blow everybody's minds with the 383's ability to roast the tires endlessly.

The beauty of Mopars was that the next day, you could go to work or school in the car like nothing ever happened, but a lot of my Chevy buddies were walking up to the sound of "What the FK did you do to the car last night?" fr0m wife or gf, with the engine in their car knock, knock, knocking on Heaven's door... or worse sideways pistons in 327 blocks while street racing like having an engine explode while you're out having a good time, not for me.

Last edited:
I swapped a Poly for a LA 318. Why? Because it was a low mileage engine that was swapped for a big block.Also it was free with a 904 to boot.
Budget is key. Low or not a problem ? My budget LA 318 mild build that sounds good and will light the tires.

View attachment 560636
Whoa!! No power steering or brakes; what's it in?

Forgot to say a 63 Plymouth Belvedere B Body.
Now has PS and A/C. Just a beater,nothing fancy.
:wideyed:

Last edited:
Love 318s. Can take 500hp. Dirt cheap so you can blow them up and start over if you wanna push it to far. They gobble up laughing gas on stock bottom ends up to a 200hp shot I sell all my big blocks and insert small blocks but that's just me and what I have for parts. nothing like a pissed off small block

Snapchat-1523363432.jpg

Back