'65 NYer tail lights..not clear.

G3KKO

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Trying to figure this out...... same part number 2445950 rh lense
The weathered one is original. Notice on the original....the vertical "stripes" are clear...and has clear insert "windows" on the face.
Thanks!
inside.jpg
outside.jpg

Also..... on a similar note....the original backup lenses (RH 2445932 LH 2445933) are completely clear...... the disassembled tail light ....backup lense (RH 2445970) has silver "stripes"...similar to the "clear" tail assemblies from early production NYers.
This has me discombobulated!!!! Any ideas?

There were at least 6 different tail light configurations in 1965. Could be because of the vendor or it could be because one is aftermarket replacement.
The configurations I have seen are
1. Clear lenses with single tail bulb.
2. Clear lens with dual bulbs
3. Plastic lens with single bulb
4. Plastic lens with dual bulb
5. Plastic lens with single bulb - No backup light
6. Plastic lens with dual bulb - No backup light

There might be a 7th - clear lens without backup light - but I have never seen one yet.

Hope that helps clear (or create) some confusion...................

There were at least 6 different tail light configurations in 1965. Could be because of the vendor or it could be because one is aftermarket replacement.
The configurations I have seen are
1. Clear lenses with single tail bulb.
2. Clear lens with dual bulbs
3. Plastic lens with single bulb
4. Plastic lens with dual bulb
5. Plastic lens with single bulb - No backup light
6. Plastic lens with dual bulb - No backup light

There might be a 7th - clear lens without backup light - but I have never seen one yet.

Hope that helps clear (or create) some confusion...................

Backup lense is a separate piece from the tail light lense.

Back up lights were still technically optional in 65,, I think they costs 12.00 or something like that. They came with some packages like the light package ect... I have only seen one New yorker and a couple 300's with the backup light delete though. Most are Newports.

no ideas on the "stripes" though? the "reverse delete" gives me ideas..... trying to find lenses or assemblies is a pain though!! either you find em super reasonable...or priced like they are gold!!!!
.....thankyou Bryan and 300RAG :)

no ideas on the "stripes" though? the "reverse delete" gives me ideas..... trying to find lenses or assemblies is a pain though!! either you find em super reasonable...or priced like they are gold!!!!
.....thankyou Bryan and 300RAG :)
just on a side note...... I am in Livermore CA for training...... hopefully be picking up a complete grill and headlight assemblies....$125 !!!!

On the lenses themselves. I think the ones with the little white reflectors were early design. They changed to the little red reflectors because of federal laws stating there had to be red reflectors on the rear, and there could be no direct (unshaded) white light showing at the rear while the car was in any position except reverse. The silver strips - my theory (and I could be incorrect) is they were dropped for one of the same reason the clear lenses were. They were more expensive and complicated to make than the all red ones.

My '65 New Yorker has clear lenses, with rectangular red tabs in the centers. There are also vertical stripes. Backup lenses are clear. Great price for the grill and headlight assemblies!

Hello, i have a 65's New yorker, and i want to ask you if u know where can i get some technical information of the car, and where can i buy original parts, thank you

Check Ebay for service manual. That is your best bet for that. They normally run from $20-$40 US for a good one. I found one a couple years ago for 5.99 because it was dirty and had a ripped cover,,,,, but that's how all mine end up anyway... There are a lot of places that sell parts, check on line and look for recommendations for vendors here. Common pieces like brakes, plugs, wheel bearings ect can be gotten pretty easy, but for harder to find (no longer produced) pieces like shift cables, air cleaner housings, lenses ect, place wanted ads in forums like here, and look on Ebay...

Also... if you haven't done so,go to the welcome forum and introduce yourself and your car.... Be prepared to post pictures!!!!

I've got clears too, notice the pic, if anyone gets a lead on someone re-manufacturing these, let me know.

Aquired a set of clear tail lights, in the process of refurbishing them..... full story/pics to come soon!!!

Back