66-300 Mopar Model 366 AM-FM Radio

1966 300

Reaction score
Working on a 66-300. I want to install an AM-FM radio. Both speakers are toast.
They are rusted so badly I can't get any information off them as to manufacturer
and or model number. Can anyone give me a recommendation on speakers for
this application?

If you are installing an aftermarket stereo. I installed 2 4" speaker side by side in the dash location and the same in the back seat. Obviously not the ideal for separation of the channels, but looks completely factory.

If you want to used the orginal (I recommend) you can have it converted to a stereo, with an auxiliary input.

Here is my thread. Radio convertion

X2 for Electrotech. I bought his speakers for my cars and the radios have never sounded so good.

If you're using the original radio and a rear seat speaker with the under dash balance fader, you must use speakers with the correct impedance or you'll damage your radio's amp. In your 66 300, the front speaker is 8 Ohms and the rear speaker is 10 Ohms. When combined with the fader the impedance drops to roughly 6 ohms. Using 2 modern replacement speakers with incorrect impedance (typically 4 Ohms) from any old place (like Radio Shack say), and the combined Ohms drops to roughly 2 Ohms, which is way too little for your radio.

The guy at Electrotech can provide correct speakers in the proper impedance ratings. Your radio will thank you.

X2 for Electrotech. I bought his speakers for my cars and the radios have never sounded so good.

If you're using the original radio and a rear seat speaker with the under dash balance fader, you must use speakers with the correct impedance or you'll damage your radio's amp. In your 66 300, the front speaker is 8 Ohms and the rear speaker is 10 Ohms. When combined with the fader the impedance drops to roughly 6 ohms. Using 2 modern replacement speakers with incorrect impedance (typically 4 Ohms) from any old place (like Radio Shack say), and the combined Ohms drops to roughly 2 Ohms, which is way too little for your radio.

The guy at Electrotech can provide correct speakers in the proper impedance ratings. Your radio will thank you.

Many thanks for your input! You have saved me a lot of time, aggravation, and

mostly money, if I would have damaged the radio with the wrong speakers.

In my '65 300 'vert, I had the original AM/FM radio retrofitted with modern internals and replaced the stock speakers with a Kenwood 6x9 in the dash and one between the rear seat. Stock appearance was not deviated.

Back