66 300 replacement gas tank

Ffranzwa

Reaction score
Hello Chrysler lovers. Can anyone recommend a quality replacement tank for our 66 300 2 dr H/T w/ a 440? Car wouldn't start, so I removed fittings to the fuel pump and nothing came out. I stuck a hose down the filler neck and it came back wet and RUSTY! The fuel gauge quit working some time ago, so I need a recommendation on a quality sending unit as well. I've reached to Chrysler for warranty info, but I've yet to hear back.:realcrazy:Looks like I'm going to have to remove the tailpipes to drop the tank. Any other hazards or tips? As always, thanks for a great forum!

REmove tailpipes? Did somebody run the duals UNDER the tank???

All things considered, look at the Spectra Premium website for the part number and application. Don't worry about the price on the website, just use that part number to shop price from other vendors for what should be the same tank.

The existing sending unit should be able to be cleaned up. When you get it out, you can check the resistances between "E", middle, and "F" with a volt-ohm meter. If that still works, should be good. The observed wear on the wiper against the resistance coil will still be there, though. MOST of the aftermarket senders will not read correctly, so look for a NOS Chrysler gauge unit. Usually about similar prices?

Get the correct wrench to remove the spanner nut on the sending unit. Tank should come with a new seal. Verify about the filler neck grommet, though. If not with the tank, get one of those too.

DO get a new fuel hose clamp/ground strap for the system, too. That strap is what makes the gauge work.

Consider, if the tank is rusty, what about the innards of the steel fuel lines?

DO plan on changing out all of the rubber sections of fuel line with new rubber fuel lines, too. All three sections between the tank and fuel pump. Then the ones at the fuel filter, too.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Great information and thank you for sharing! Any suggestions on vendors for lines, spanner wrench, ground strap for gauge, etc? It seems like it's getting harder to find parts for old cars.

Just replaced mine ('65 Newport).
Got tank/sending unit/filler grommet from Vans Auto.
Tad over $400 including shipping.
Omni

Ffranzwa
No, I did not replace the steel lines (I DID replace ALL the rubber connectors. Vans has the steel lines if needed.
A slight tweaking of the float arm was done. The float did not drop as far (empty) as the original. Compare the old and new sending units to insure that the arm has the same range of motion.
With the sending unit hooked up (not installed in the tank) run the arm through its travel and watch your gauge. Keep in mind that there will be a delay in doing this.
I did solder a tab on the sending unit to replace the factory grounding strap. This was discussed in other threads.
I ran the 'new' ground wire through the grommet in the trunk floor (sending unit) and grounded it to the spare tire support on the bottom. There was a hole already punched there so no drilling was required.

Good Luck keep us posted on the progress/results
Happy Easter
Omni

Ffranzwa
No, I did not replace the steel lines (I DID replace ALL the rubber connectors. Vans has the steel lines if needed.
A slight tweaking of the float arm was done. The float did not drop as far (empty) as the original. Compare the old and new sending units to insure that the arm has the same range of motion.
With the sending unit hooked up (not installed in the tank) run the arm through its travel and watch your gauge. Keep in mind that there will be a delay in doing this.
I did solder a tab on the sending unit to replace the factory grounding strap. This was discussed in other threads.
I ran the 'new' ground wire through the grommet in the trunk floor (sending unit) and grounded it to the spare tire support on the bottom. There was a hole already punched there so no drilling was required.

Good Luck keep us posted on the progress/results
Happy Easter
Omni
Thanks again Omni! Great info!

Back