66 383 Dyno numbers

SmittysDroptop

Reaction score
Today I had the opportunity to run my 72k original mile 66 383 - 2 barrel engine on a dyno.
A buddy of mine took it apart as far as needed to check bearings , cleanliness as well as check for potential issues.
New gaskets were installed where needed, distributor was recurved and the cam advanced 4 degrees. Timing was set in the end at 33 degrees.
The only upgrades were a performer intake and a 650 AvS2 4 barrel carb.
The engine was painted and is now ready to set back in the Newport convertible .
Below are the numbers we turned out today.

20230408_202959.jpg

20230408_202955.jpg

IMG_6692.jpg

Looks good. Stock 516 heads? Does it still have the steel shim head gaskets, or are they composite replacements? That seems pretty bold advancing the stock 2 barrel cam, I’m sure it’s pretty small and favors low end power to begin with. It does look like it makes nice thick power down low though.
Travis..

Wow, look at that flat torque curve! So 277 HP with a 4 BBL? That’s just 7 more than what the stock 2 BBL is rated at. What do you think is going on with that? I would think with open exhaust and a 4 BBL you’d at least get to 300…

If I may ask, what did the shop charge for this service?

Today I had the opportunity to run my 72k original mile 66 383 - 2 barrel engine on a dyno.
A buddy of mine took it apart as far as needed to check bearings , cleanliness as well as check for potential issues.
New gaskets were installed where needed, distributor was recurved and the cam advanced 4 degrees. Timing was set in the end at 33 degrees.
The only upgrades were a performer intake and a 650 AvS2 4 barrel carb.
The engine was painted and is now ready to set back in the Newport convertible .
Below are the numbers we turned out today.

View attachment 590620

View attachment 590622

View attachment 590623
Did you have to install an adapter for your Kick down with the AVS 2 carburetor and if so, where did you get it and do you have the part number. I installed the same on my 383, need an adapter but don’t know the what and the were. Thanks.

Looks good. Stock 516 heads? Does it still have the steel shim head gaskets, or are they composite replacements? That seems pretty bold advancing the stock 2 barrel cam, I’m sure it’s pretty small and favors low end power to begin with. It does look like it makes nice thick power down low though.
Travis..
Stock heads and gaskets, didnt take those off , just a general cleanup of the valve rockers etc.

Wow, look at that flat torque curve! So 277 HP with a 4 BBL? That’s just 7 more than what the stock 2 BBL is rated at. What do you think is going on with that? I would think with open exhaust and a 4 BBL you’d at least get to 300…

If I may ask, what did the shop charge for this service?
I wish I had thought far enough ahead to have the motor ran with the 2 barrel on it upon removal.
IMO , the 2 barrel wasnt actually putting out 270hp, and thats my opinion-we didnt get the torque numbers Chrysler was reporting for the 2 barrel version either. Im not a motor expert so maybe someone else will weigh in on what thwy think.
Iknow headers would have picked us up close to 30 hp, but I didnt want headers in the convertible, so chose to test it as it will be driven.
I was fortunate to get this done as a favor. Ive known Mike for almost 40 years and he helped me out just to see what it had...
Cant beat old friends...

So 277 HP with a 4 BBL?
HP is meaningless. The low rpm torque numbers at low RPM are insane.

Next time you're trying to explain meaningless HP figures to apparently people everywhere, ask them, "how much time do you spend at redline when you drive?".

Ok, like maybe not even once in your life for most and smart people.

How much time do you spend taking off from lights and pulling long grade at stupidly slow speeds?

Basically all the time.

Fabulous looking engine btw, electric WP is really neat.

Am I thinking correct that if you advance the cam, in time with timing chain stretch it goes back towards 0º, correct?

So a typical engine with timing chain stretch has a slightly retarded cam maybe and how does that affect performance rather than advancing?

The heavyweights will have to weigh in on this one.

Something I always thought was absolutely incredible about the Jag OHC 6 was that you could time both intake and exhaust cams independently, with great results.

VVT does it today, but I'm not into that kind of technology at all.

The difference between cars and people, is that you're supposed to be able to understand cars, and that you can fix cars.

Last edited:
Well, just a bit crotchety this morning, on HP. Me, I like the pedal down, a lot. And, even at my age, I want a much lower gear in the rear one day.....Prob 3.54 or 3.73. And THEN, as the motor will spool up a bit, the power will matter. Ab right on most of our cars with a 2.00 rear that runs at idle speed and cant get out of its own way.....much. One of my memories was of a friends 64 with a 426 wedge and 4 speed. He would stop on slight hills in Richmond Va, and say, watch this as he takes off in 4th with narry a wince from the motor. And, the later 375 chevelle he owned would just walk the dog at speed.....the solid lifter cam making HP. But I detour......

We were quite happy with the torque numbers and the curve for sure. The Newport has a factory 2.76 rearend ratio. I didnt buy this one to go light to light and the car really crusises nice at 70- 80mph. Im sure a 3.23 rear would make it a bit peppy from a light and perhaps not knock off much on the mileage at cruising speed.

The main reason it was taken out of the car was to check it out for durability and to clean it up.
A good friend (Mopar fanatic) did the work and prepped it for the dyno.
The electric water pump was part that prep.
Ive included a few before and after photos. Will update as soon as i have it back in.

Replacing front end/ control arm bushings etc currently since it seemed easier with the motor out.

I did find some difference in the cam specs for the 2&4 barrel motors in 66. I had previously read they were the same cam, but the Chrysler service manual says differently.

received_717512276826315.jpeg

received_536769325231428.jpeg

received_605322638118179.jpeg

received_1362652117827132.jpeg

received_724729982713288.jpeg

20230409_193425.jpg

Even a 383 2bbl has it all, down low, tire fryer, and up high, more tire frying, so the engine never lacked for power.

My buddy at AAMCO Trans had a '69 Roadrunner he bought for $100 with flattened driver's side quarter panel, 4sp car, you'd be standing there saying "See ya later" and before the car ever moved an inch, clouds of smoke would roll out the wheelwells.

Most people have never even seen power like this, especially Chevy owners, lol.

A couple months after picking up the Orange '69 for $100, he picks up a mint yellow '70 Roadrunner with Grabber hood, minus engine/trans for $125.

We swapped the engine at AAMCO because we were all young, poor, no one had a garage.

One afternoon, and and he rolls out of the shop in a mint killer yellow '70 Roadrunner for $225 ;[]

The '69 went to the junk yard and probably got crushed in no time at all.

They were crushing tons of muscle cars. If a Roadrunner or Charger came in, they'd give you a few day to get glass, doors, fenders and misc, then they'd crush it.

Some punk kid/friend stole my '63 Newport with stick on the floor, and the junk yard let me get personal items out the trunk, motorcycle tool bag and work boots were still in the trunk but the car was flat as a pancake, barely two weeks after it was stolen, and of course the junk yard should have never crushed a stolen car, but the kid and a buddy had already ruined it cutting the engine and trans out with a torch, so they could sell it.

I got the engine/trans back, it had become property of a Mopar guy with a front engine rail, apparently was going to race the engine.

Yeah, you drive torque - what gets you going. I actually prefer diesels for that main reason - just more fun to drive. Race horsepower.

To say HP "doesn't matter" just seems really closed minded. I'm not drag racing my Newport, but when I have to pull out onto a highway where people are doing 60, I'm revving it to 5K and HP matters. When I'm pulling onto the freeway with my town's notoriously short on-ramps and need to merge NOW, HP matters. When I'm on said freeway and I need to pass someone, HP matters. It just depends on what type of driving you do.

Besides those practical issues, the HP number does give you a sense of how the engine is breathing and obviously with our engines, improving the breathing ability will give HP and torque in different measures depending upon cam, intake, exhaust, etc.

Back