For Sale 66 Chrysler 300 2dr - Looks very original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say the PO had little to no info about the car and there is no fender tag :(

What colour is the engine? Canadian made 300s and their engines were made at the Windsor plant, and all engines at that time were painted red. They were also painted after they were mated to the transmission, so there should be red overspray on the trans bellhousing. Also the pulleys and power steering pump should also be red. If this is all true for yours then there's a reasonable chance it's original.

If the engine is turquoise or orange then it is not original to the car or has been overhauled by someone who didn't care about originality.

What colour is the engine? Canadian made 300s and their engines were made at the Windsor plant, and all engines at that time were painted red. They were also painted after they were mated to the transmission, so there should be red overspray on the trans bellhousing. Also the pulleys and power steering pump should also be red. If this is all true for yours then there's a reasonable chance it's original.

If the engine is turquoise or orange then it is not original to the car or has been overhauled by someone who didn't care about originality.

The engine is factory Red and appears to be original. The car was repainted Spanish Red but was originally Bright Red. Being the Windsor based 300 and not the Sport 300 might be a factor but who knows. Single exhaust car as well. I can tell you that it runs quite well on the 2BBL and has plenty of power.

Both available. 2bbl and 4bbl. Both with single exhaust. 2bbl with 8.5 compression and the 4bbl with 10.5. Only the 440 with dual ex..

In Canada the 383 V8 with 2-bbl carb was standard on the Windsor and Town & Country with the 4-bbl version, single exhaust standard on the 300 and Sport 300 - optional on T&C. New Yorkers had the 440 4-bbl with single exhaust. The 440 4-ccl with dual exhaust was optional on all but the New Yorker. The only transmission was Torqueflite, standard across the board.

The Canadian 300 used the Windsor taillights as well as the Windsor 2 door hardtop roof line. All but the Town & Country and Sport 300 were built in Canada.

The Sport 300 was the American 300 2 door hardtop and convertible The Canadian brochure has the Sport 300 hardtop on front and rear covers.

In Canada the 383 V8 with 2-bbl carb was standard on the Windsor and Town & Country with the 4-bbl version, single exhaust standard on the 300 and Sport 300 - optional on T&C. New Yorkers had the 440 4-bbl with single exhaust. The 440 4-ccl with dual exhaust was optional on all but the New Yorker. The only transmission was Torqueflite, standard across the board.

The Canadian 300 used the Windsor taillights as well as the Windsor 2 door hardtop roof line. All but the Town & Country and Sport 300 were built in Canada.

The Sport 300 was the American 300 2 door hardtop and convertible The Canadian brochure has the Sport 300 hardtop on front and rear covers.
One minor nit in an overall excellent summary: The 440 TNT engine was also an optional upgrade on the New Yorker. I have a salesman's data sheet with the ordering codes and prices, and I once saw a very original and "fully loaded" New Yorker in BC that had the 440 TNT.

The Canadian 1966 Chrysler brochure does not show the 440 TNT as being available on the New Yorker. The U.S. 1966 brochure has the 440 TNT optional on all 1966 Chryslers.

Not unusual for American cars to be in Canada. In the spring of 1960 a person living across the street from the elementary school (in Winnipeg) I attended purchased a new 1960 Comet, a car not sold in Canada. Canadian Mercury-Meteor dealers got the Falcon-based Frontenac for 1960 and the Comet in 1961.

Similarly a person living one street over from where I lived had a 1961 Dodge Lancer 770 hardtop. I first saw it in the spring of 1961 and the car was in the neighbourhood until the mid-1960's. So there is a possibility the 1966 New Yorker was a US model - would need to check the VIN as all Canadian Chryslers (save the T&C and Sport 300) were built in Windsor and the US in either East Jefferson or Newark.

The Canadian 1966 Chrysler brochure does not show the 440 TNT as being available on the New Yorker. The U.S. 1966 brochure has the 440 TNT optional on all 1966 Chryslers.

Not unusual for American cars to be in Canada. In the spring of 1960 a person living across the street from the elementary school (in Winnipeg) I attended purchased a new 1960 Comet, a car not sold in Canada. Canadian Mercury-Meteor dealers got the Falcon-based Frontenac for 1960 and the Comet in 1961.

Similarly a person living one street over from where I lived had a 1961 Dodge Lancer 770 hardtop. I first saw it in the spring of 1961 and the car was in the neighbourhood until the mid-1960's. So there is a possibility the 1966 New Yorker was a US model - would need to check the VIN as all Canadian Chryslers (save the T&C and Sport 300) were built in Windsor and the US in either East Jefferson or Newark.
The car in question was for sale. I popped the hood. The engine was definitely painted red and I'm pretty sure had the dual snorkel air cleaner with TNT decal. Admittedly it was 20+ years ago so I could be mistaken. I'll have to try to find the pictures I took of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back