66 Fury III Convertible Steering Rag Coupling

Reaction score
Hi Everyone...
I have just purchased a 1966 Plymouth Fury III convertible with a torn Steering Rag Coupling. Any tips would be so helpful. Part numbers are becoming difficult to find and I have to admit I am spoiled by youtube videos that spell everything out for me on most modern topics. The car, at 56 years old, has few DIY videos. It appears as if I can unbolt [this one is not riveted] the 'rag' and slide in a replacement with out a great amount of disassembly. I have a 'Chiltons' type manual which seems to make no mention of this connection at all.

Thanks in advance for your time.

20221219_142433.jpg

Hi Everyone...
I have just purchased a 1966 Plymouth Fury III convertible with a torn Steering Rag Coupling. Any tips would be so helpful. Part numbers are becoming difficult to find and I have to admit I am spoiled by youtube videos that spell everything out for me on most modern topics. The car, at 56 years old, has few DIY videos. It appears as if I can unbolt [this one is not riveted] the 'rag' and slide in a replacement with out a great amount of disassembly. I have a 'Chiltons' type manual which seems to make no mention of this connection at all.

Thanks in advance for your time.

View attachment 572352
That is not an original. The OEM are similar in look to a hockey puck, but are no longer produced. Here is some reading for you...

Steering coupler needed

Steering coupler found

Rag Joint

Last edited:
If you can find one get the Lares corp 220 coupler, currently out of stock at Rock Auto, Summit has it listed but it's special order

Back