66 Monaco conv power steering gear replacement

Labradorian

Reaction score
Hello all
A few years ago I inherited a 66 Monaco convertible from my father. The car did not come with power steering when he bought it new in 66. But he did install
20170826_113751.jpg
it later in the 70's. He used a steering gear box from a early 70's new yorker. Not sure what year. Anyways I would like to replace this steering box and was wondering if when ordering a replacement do I simply ask for a steering box for a 66 Monaco or a 67? Why I ask is that I believe power steering was not available for the 66 monaco but became available in 67.

Also would an early 70's new yorker steering gear box be the same as the 66 gear boxes such as the Monaco. Im guessing that this should be pretty much plug and play....

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Glen

Nice car. Both my 66 Monaco have factory power steering. The bolt holes should be there in the stub frame. I can't say if the box your dad put in has the same physical dimensions, but if not it would have been a PIA to install. That being said if it all fits well I would consider getting that box rebuilt - your Ontario plates (me too!) make me suggest North American Rebuilders would be a good choice. I'll post contact info when I get home. Buying a replacement box by all accounts is a recipe for disappointment.

Last edited:
Power steering was an option, but was part of a option group which most dealers ordered anyway. On the B-body cars, there is an adapter that goes between the non-power steering column and the installed power steering gear, but I don't know if that's the same situation on the C-body cars. When I was looking (in another thread on power steering gears), I discovered a major rebuilder used the same reman gear for '65-'72 C-body cars.

So, if there's a reputable rebuilder in your area (as indicated above) just get a rebuild on your existing gear.

Nice car!
CBODY67

Thanks Ross for that info. And thanks cbody67 for confirming the ps option in 66. Would it matter that this is a Canadian car in regards to options available. I assume ps was available on both the american and Canadian Monaco's in 66.

Just curious Ross why would I be disappointed if I replace ps box. It does make sense to rebuild the existing one as it does work well on the car. I'm trying to dial in the adjustment on the ps box but having trouble. Dead center on the wheel is hard to hold. All steering component's are tight and just replaced the front wheel bearings last year. So maybe the 40 year old box needs a rebuild.
Thanks for the good comments this Monaco just turned over 80,000 miles. Not restored. Cheers

Apparently the boxes one can buy are crappy rebuilds (or not rebuilt at all and just painted!) that are often worse than one's original.

Canadian to USA differences do not extend to the mechanicals, just that the Canadian cars used the Plymouth Sport Fury interior rebadged as Dodge. All the options were the same otherwise.

I'm surprised that an 80,000 mile box needs a rebuild... check the alignment and talk to a greybeard mechanic who knows how to adjust the on-centre play on the box.

My 66 T&C wagon has it's original box that at nearly 300,000 miles is still fine. I suggest there's another issue there.

What type of issue is there with the steering not wanting to stay "on center"? The ONLY thing that would relate to the steering gear itself is an adjustment of the position of the housing (on the main gear housing) where the return line hooks on. If that adjustment is not correct, it can make the steering wheel (if allowed) to turn one way or the other, by itself. That adjustment is a "cut and try" adjustment with the front wheels raised off the ground. Has nothing to do with what's going on inside the gearbox. The factory service manual details how to make that particular adjustment.

If the caster adjustment in the front suspension is not balanced, side to side, that can cause a "pull" condition not related to the gearbox. Although a more seasoned tech that knows how to do the adjustments can do an alignment on the car, the principles are the same as long as it's not a McPherson Strut front suspension. ONE thing to understand is that FEW roads are really "flat", but have either a little crown in the middle or have a slight incline from one side to the other . . . all in the orientation of water draining off of the roadway.

As it turns out, you might not really need to change the steering gear, but just get some adjustments done to the existing gear and/or front end alignment. Worst case scenario, might need a set of tires (if they might be causing the "pull" condition. Never really a good idea to start chunking parts at an issue, unless you might desire the peace of mind that comes from knowing that new parts have replaced some older ones (even if the older ones had no operational issues).

CBODY67

Apparently the boxes one can buy are crappy rebuilds (or not rebuilt at all and just painted!) that are often worse than one's original.

Canadian to USA differences do not extend to the mechanicals, just that the Canadian cars used the Plymouth Sport Fury interior rebadged as Dodge. All the options were the same otherwise. Thanks I found out about the interior difference when I was troubleshooting some electrical gremlins in the gauge cluster. Bow have manuals for both fury and Monaco. For the electrical side of things.

I'm surprised that an 80,000 mile box needs a rebuild... check the alignment and talk to a greybeard mechanic who knows how to adjust the on-centre play on the box.

Alignment is good. New tires. No play in steering components and new wheel bearings....... Everything you guys are telling me is focusing on the adjustment. I will work on that adjust. I have just the person to bring it too.

My 66 T&C wagon has it's original box that at nearly 300,000 miles is still fine. I suggest there's another issue there.

What type of issue is there with the steering not wanting to stay "on center"? The ONLY thing that would relate to the steering gear itself is an adjustment of the position of the housing (on the main gear housing) where the return line hooks on. If that adjustment is not correct, it can make the steering wheel (if allowed) to turn one way or the other, by itself. That adjustment is a "cut and try" adjustment with the front wheels raised off the ground. Has nothing to do with what's going on inside the gearbox. The factory service manual details how to make that particular adjustment.

If the caster adjustment in the front suspension is not balanced, side to side, that can cause a "pull" condition not related to the gearbox. Although a more seasoned tech that knows how to do the adjustments can do an alignment on the car, the principles are the same as long as it's not a McPherson Strut front suspension. ONE thing to understand is that FEW roads are really "flat", but have either a little crown in the middle or have a slight incline from one side to the other . . . all in the orientation of water draining off of the roadway.

As it turns out, you might not really need to change the steering gear, but just get some adjustments done to the existing gear and/or front end alignment. Worst case scenario, might need a set of tires (if they might be causing the "pull" condition. Never really a good idea to start chunking parts at an issue, unless you might desire the peace of mind that comes from knowing that new parts have replaced some older ones (even if the older ones had no operational issues).

Thanks for your advice..... I'm no expert on this stuff hence why I came into this forum. You guys have been a great help. I thought maybe the gear box might have some wear but sounds like more of an adjustment I need to focus on. Car has new tires,bearings and all steering linkages are tight. The car does not wander...... Its just when holding the wheel dead on center it just does not hold dead center. Like it falls off dead center slightly in either direction the same. Always micro correcting the wheel in a straight line. But going around steady turns seems fine. No correcting. I'll try the adjustment again.

Thanks for all the advice. Its greatly appreciated. Nice cars too by the way.

Cheers

CBODY67

Back