66 New Yorker Rear window rust repair

steamboy05

Reaction score
Hello everyone, my father and I just went and looked at a 66 New Yorker coupe, the only glaring issue is some rust underneath the driver’s side of the rear window. It was about three, maybe four inches long right under the trim. If anyone has any experience dealing with the repair that would be wonderful. Thanks in advance.

There may be more rust than what you see. Add 50% more rust damage to what you do see!!
Water is entering the trunk and can rust out the trunk, edges of the wheelwell and backside of the quarter panel above the fender skirt.
Rear window needs to come out-but before you do that make sure you can get a window gasket as the original may not survive the removal process.
No pics but speaking from experience the rotted section needs to be cut out and fabricate/weld in new metal.
Been there..done that. Lol.
Hope this helps.

That rear window rust can be rampant ...
As cbarge said, you may likely to have to cut, form new metal and weld it back on.
I would suggest finding a donor car for the metal part you want to replace, it will be easier this way.

That rear window rust can be rampant ...
As cbarge said, you may likely to have to cut, form new metal and weld it back on.
I would suggest finding a donor car for the metal part you want to replace, it will be easier this way.
Has to be another New Yorker since it has a "formal" rear window/roofline. Newport and 300 are different.

You won't know until you dig into it.
As there is no vinyl there, that helps things.

You might be able to scrape it carefully, pick most of the rust away, and put on some brush-on touch-up paint.
I have also had good luck with 3" sanding disks on a velcro pad, when used in a cordless drill, at slow speeds.
The sanding paper overhangs the pad and can be carefully penetrated under hte trim sometimes.
Then paint can be bushed or dripped under the trim.

Or you can take off all teh trim, remove the glass, 'fix it right', and end up repainting the whole car.

All depends on your goals, skills and budget.

1655231387600.png

Back