'66 new yorker steering column lower plastic bushing meltdown.

moparlarri

Reaction score
Resurrecting a '66 new yorker 2dht that had an electrical meltdown that got so hot that it melted away the bottom plastic bushing on the steering column. I don't know exactly what it looks like and haven't had any luck finding one. Looked on e-bay, etc. It is a column shift car. The steering shaft has a bearing at the bottom and the missing bushing appears to center this bearing in the housing along with centering the inner shifting shaft. Anyone know of a source for this part? I have replaced the wiring harness and have the car ready to drive if only I could put the steering column back in. thanks, larri.

Hi Larri, I will look at the bottom of the 68 steering column i have and take a pic of what you are looking for, I am not actually parting the column but it will at least give you a photo of what to look for.

Here is a pic of the bushing in place.
68 column end bushing.jpg

68 column end bushing.jpg

It'll probably depend on if it's a tilt wheel or not on what the bushing looks like.

I have decided to start stripping this column, if you are interested i will sell you this bush for $20.

Back