'66 Newport 2 Door hardtop

At least it has the 2 white parts, the ones at the rear are the most common ones to break and the front one seems to go AWOL a lot.

At least it has the 2 white parts, the ones at the rear are the most common ones to break and the front one seems to go AWOL a lot.
yes, on the passenger side the white roller on the front lower angled part was completely gone, and on the drivers side, the double white roller at the rear was broken off.

I have a hardtop finally!

Originally I planned to write a tutorial and photograph the process of removing, repairing and reinstalling the driver's side window and regulator assembly. The whole process was such a nightmare that I decided to forgo doing all of that on the driver's side, and instead just replace the broken wobbly roller, and lube/grease the hell out of everything else.

I had broken the upper front track slider bit on the passenger's side, and on a whim, I put it back together with JB Weld. I thought for sure it would break upon the very first time I tried rolling the window down, but to my surprise, it's holding up so far. Lots of grease seems to help. I have 2 more coming from eBay in case it does break and I have to replace it. Hope I can remember how to get it all apart and back together if it does - it took about an hour of trial and error just to get the front rail and two sliders installed.

I have new cat whiskers coming from Dante's Parts, so I'm waiting for those to arrive before I put the interior back together. I'll take pictures of that process . . . .

IMG_2580.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

IMG_2583.jpeg

Last edited:
I swapped out the 57 year old in-tank fuel filter today with a new replacement I got on Amazon for only $15!

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2657.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

Anyone know the exact color for the backlight trim here? Interior color is listed as “red.” Seems to be the same as the dashboard. 66 Newport.

IMG_2670.jpeg

Well, a month later, it’s all put back together. Rear quarter windows technically work.

The driver side rear quarter works pretty good on its own, but it does like to have some assistance pushing in the back corner as you roll it up, otherwise it hangs up on the rubber trim. Would’ve loved to kick the glass out towards the rear a little more towards the outer cat whisker as that would’ve fixed the problem, but I was out of adjustment.

The passenger side is much more finicky and likes to pop one of its roller wheels off if you go up and down too many times in a row. It seems to work pretty well on its own without assistance, but having it occasionally throw that roller makes me nervous to roll that window down, ever. I’ll probably just leave it up 99% of the time.

Would I do this again? Absolutely not. I probably have 30 hours into rebuilding, repairing, and adjusting the rear quarter window regulators and assemblies. Adding new cat whiskers and window seals certainly added to the amount of time, as the windows want to catch on them and hang up if anything is even slightly out of adjustment. I’m sure as the new materials compress it’ll become easier and easier to operate the windows without things catching.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I really wanted to make a tutorial for this whole process, but it’s such a process of trial and error that it’s akin to solving the Rubik’s cube in 1983 before they published manuals on how to do it in a step-by-step manner. Hour after hour of frustrating trial and error.

I have certainly learned a few things about this car in this adventure, but I genuinely appreciate the way new cars handle this whole window regulator business. I changed out the regulator on my daughters 2001 Ford focus in less than an hour from start to finish. All I had to do was take off the door panel, unbolt four bolts for the regulator assembly, pull out the old assembly and put in the new assembly, reinstall the four bolts and the door card, and it was good to go. No fussing around with adjustments or things catching, it just worked.

The Chrysler window regulator assemblies are like taking the Ring to Mordor. One does not simply walk into Mordor, nor does one simply rebuild a Chrysler window regulator assembly lol.

IMG_2672.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg

IMG_2674.jpeg

IMG_2676.jpeg

IMG_2673.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

At least you can say you did it yourself! That interior really looks good. Like I said before, Im very impressed with the time and effort that you give your car to get it the way you want it! Awsome job.

My car shows really well. I got super lucky finding a '66 Newport that had been well cared for all of these 57 years. Previous owners repaired rusted out panels, installed a new windshield, new paint, sprayed truck liner in the trunk, replaced the carpet, new tires, new shocks, new rear springs, rebuilt the engine and transmission, and had numerous portions of the seats redone when they were wore out (some repairs better than others).

I wanted to document all of the numerous things I've done to the car not just for my own satisfaction, but to show C-Body shoppers what they might expect to be doing EVEN IF the car runs and looks amazing when they pick it up. These points of regard could also serve as question/answer sources if someone is searching for how to do something, and they find my little write up here - I'm happy to help out!

So, please indulge this summary listing of everything I've done to my Newport since acquiring it January 2023 that is nearly invisible to the eye - you'd never know it was done unless I told you! It's no small list . . .

* rewired the map light (wiring was all boogered up)
* rebuilt and installed correct carburetor (Stromberg WWC replaced the incorrect Carter BBD from '70s Dodge Truck)
* new carb fuel line since the one for the Carter didn't line up to the Stromberg
* cleaned disgusting door lock knobs
* adjusted windshield wipers so they sat correctly when parked (installed incorrectly after windshield replacement)
* sealed windshield (new glass wasn't sealed correctly, leaked when raining)
* recovered armrest bases front and rear with "aluminum" tape (will replace with REPOP units next year)
* pulled all seats and door panels to vacuum, steam clean, rust treat, undercoat and apply carpet sound deadening insulation to floor
* installed 3rd brake light for safety (need to rewire to brake switch next year - currently wired to right tail lamp)
* installed new distributor, electronic ignition, ballast resister and coil from the guy who sells the kit on eBay
* adjusted "kick down" pre-load as recommended by @CBODY67
* installed missing door weather stripping on driver's door
* replaced bad trunk light switch
* replaced turn signal lights, tail lights, license plate light, backup lights, sail panel courtesy lights with LED bulbs
* repainted steel wheels, installed "poverty caps"
* installed new "Pentastar" logo on fender, new coolant, thermostat, air cleaner, and trunk/jack stickers
* added passenger side rearview mirror
* added under-hood sound insulation
* repainted satin black paint trim on tail light chrome and C-Pillar chrome trim
* installed headlight relays
* performed ammeter bypass upgrade
* installed tachometer
* installed triple gauge cluster (oil, water, volt)
* removed instrument cluster, fixed broken "tangs", installed LED bulbs in all positions, cleaned and repainted orange needles
* lubed speedo cable
* replaced mini voltage regulator for fuel gauge
* replaced leaking fuel sending unit float and disintegrated filter (gauge now works!)
* installed correct water neck for upper radiator hose
* converted master cylinder from single circuit to dual circuit from '67 and later
* repainted brake booster while doing the master cylinder job
* adjusted brake light switch to activate sooner
* added subtle amber and red reflective marker tape to key areas to increase side visibility at night
* replaced leaking windshield washer pump
* replaced dissolved windshield washer hose "F"-tee near the cowl
* cleaned out clogged windshield washer nozzles
* vacuumed and cleaned out all cowl vents (interior)
* replaced missing steering rag joint heat shield
* replaced incorrect front input shaft seal (was missing the "collar")
* replaced missing flex plate inspection cover
* replaced broken/missing nylon/plastic rollers in rear quarter window assemblies (greased everything too)
* replaced quarter window rubber seals and quarter window "cat whiskers"
* removed and thoroughly cleaned front and rear seats, door panel cards (steam cleaner plus leather conditioner)
* replaced missing/torn water barriers at all 4 windows
* replaced missing/damaged door trim "clips", did repairs on torn out cardboard backing
* made new "trunk divider" between rear seat and trunk
* made new "parcel shelf" and recovered with "duck cloth" in appropriate color
* repainted all satin black on front grill and headlight surrounds
* repainted black and "raspberry" sections of grill emblem
* installed a "day/night" rear view mirror
* replaced very corroded chrome trim surround on instrument cluster
* fixed misoriented ignition switch
* repainted satin black paint on "CHRYSLER" and "NEWPORT" trim scripts
* clay-barred, polished and ceramic coated the paint to remove hazing and minor scratches that had occurred since repaint
* replaced bad grommet for radio antenna through the firewall
* rerouted spark plug wires that were ran incorrectly

What an adventure, I love owning this car!

IMG_2858.jpeg

Last edited:
Interested in this part:

What material did u use ?

I need to make 1 for my 71 Newport

Good heavens! You've been busy! Thanks for the list. Car looks great.

CBODY67

Interested in this part:

What material did u use ?

I need to make 1 for my 71 Newport
I used a couple pieces of foam-based "craft" board like you can find at Hobby Lobby. Got 2 of the biggest ones they sell, duct taped them together, then used the original as a pattern and cut the new one to match. A bit flimsy, but as long as you just put it in place and leave it, it's fine. I put some sound deadener over mine as well for good measure.

I am interested in how you sealed the windshield - all the C bodies seem to leak, and I would like to fix that.

Can you do a more detailed report?

I, like all of us here, are very impressed with your efforts and results in getting that car looking and functioning at top level.

The grille, bumper and hood line up beautifully!

Well done!

I am interested in how you sealed the windshield - all the C bodies seem to leak, and I would like to fix that.

Can you do a more detailed report?

I, like all of us here, are very impressed with your efforts and results in getting that car looking and functioning at top level.

The grille, bumper and hood line up beautifully!

Well done!
Hey Ross, I used Permatex clear windshield sealant. I jammed the application nozzle behind the black rubber seal, and just laid a bead down between the black rubber seal, and the glass itself, all the way around the windshield.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-g...VoRutBh1J7gWSEAQYAyABEgJQp_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I’ve been super concerned about visibility at night ever since I got this car, so after many other distractions I’ve implemented @CBODY67’s good advice and applied white reflective tape to the side trim. In indirect light you can’t even see it, but in direct light, it reflects white. I can now drive at night time with less anxiety!

IMG_3316.jpeg

IMG_3317.jpeg

Gave the SS Anderson a proper wash over the weekend, so I thought I'd make a quick video to show some of the repairs and improvements I've done over the last year. I'm gonna have to polish the paint a bit again since the car cover has introduced some defects. Check out the video!

Back