66 Newport 2 door sells for $20,900 + auction fees @ Barrett Jackson

...Oh, and on another besides, what does it matter what your car is worth on the market? I don't ever concern myself with it.
One reason would be to make sure your agreed value insurance coverage is still adequate for today's replacement costs.

I get a chuckle reading posts made by the "that isn't exactly perfect factory ..." people. I suggest maybe a bit of reality check is required. In the real world it is near impossible to duplicate factory fit and finish because we pay attention to our work and try to make things nice, whereas the factory was only interested in time and cars were good to go if they passing a quick visual and would start and drive to the storage yard. Most cars left the factory with body panels improperly aligned and paint with orange peel, runs and sags. The purchasing dealers were responsible for fixing glaring problems and their work was sometimes less than perfect. So to my mind I see the "exactly perfect guys" to be very small groups of people playing the "mine is better than yours" game. The rest of the world judges what they see and decides if they hate/like/love and how much they are willing to pay to own one. That $20K Chrysler is an interesting example. To the "purest" it's a fail and should be dirt cheap. However to the guy looking for a decent looking reliable collector car, the price is pretty good. I know many "mid-level" plant managers who like older cars, want eye catching and fixed up mechanically. Any one of them can lease a fancy car that looks just like all the others, but to stand out in their crowd that $20K Chrysler is just the ticket to turn heads. They want shiny paint, minty "looking" interiors and a big honking engine. This market is growing quickly. I think it's going to spin off a demand for "classic car mechanics" because few of these new owner's have a clue how to fix their new toys. It's an interesting world.

I agree with Fury440 - I have restored, resto-moded, and built numerous Jeeps (both AMC and newer options) over the years and have never had an issue getting the price I wanted out of them especially for the AMC era Jeeps. While some would tell me my price was high the eventual buyers usually had the same opinion.... that the $ they were paying for mine was still cheaper than a new Jeep and the one I was selling was way cooler. It also brought back memories for a number of reasons.

Was $20k high for the Newport? I don't think so given this. For $20k you have something that stands out in a crowd, possibly brings back memories and/or connects you with a passed loved one, who knows what else it creates for a new owner. Only the buyer knows if the price paid is worth the joy.

One reason would be to make sure your agreed value insurance coverage is still adequate for today's replacement costs.

I figured someone would mentioned that. While that would make perfect sense I suspect that it not the motivation of most.

At $20k it may have been the only affordable vehicle at BJ to someone determined to buy something at Barrett Jackson.
Agreed. I believe they sell project cars and other 'riff-raff' there, but that never makes the TV show. If we think the resto cars are pricey, I bet we'd crap at what the junk action is. Which possibly makes a car like this seem a bargain.

Great looking car, beautiful paint and that great 2 dr roof line. I'd like a few more options on the car but $20k for a car with that kind of restoration is a good buy imo. You know the seller put a lot more than that into the car.

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion then. I don't see a $21,000 car here.
Yes, it is very nice - slick paint, good chrome, nice colors - but ultimately it is a plain no-option Newport. (no offense to anyone with a Nupe, I'm not knocking the car, just the price of it)
And don't give me the old 'you can't build it for that' - even if you could, how many of us actually would???
The underhood detailing on this one is not-so-fresh if you look closely.
And I must say - the air cleaner decal is SO out of character. Like putting a dollop of icecream in a martini.

View attachment 194213
Lo-Pro manifolds with rust. Not bad in itself (mine has the same). Just not worth the price paid.

Fabric interior inserts would have been brocade and not velour. A good velour is probably easier to get for many trim shops.

When I saw the first fuselage cars, I went "WOW!" I suspect people seeing them for the first time still are, in comparison to the more conservative (but still very nice!) earlier cars.

As much as I like the '65-'68 Chryslers, some of the similar Furys and Dodges just looked snazzier, in many cases.

CBODY67

I suspect that MANY of the cars which B-J sell are "at a loss" for those that first restored and sold them there. Just too nice for the price paid, it seems. Cheaper to buy then "done" rather than restore it yourself, in many cases. Provided that what as done was done decently well.

On the other hand, several years ago, a regional "oil guy" sold his stock and went to Scottsdale and bought about 30 cars. We got to see and work on most of them. Looked good, but most needed some repairs to be completely reliable. Many generators and carbs were rebuilt, for example. Saw some rotisserie restorations with hardware store bolts/nuts.

But when they know that a car (in this case a Mustang Shelby GT-500) had a bad motor, it was plainly noted. In that case, the new owner had it shipped to a restoration shop with somebody that could re-do the engine correctly.

Still, lots to see at those auctions!

CBODY67

Fabric interior inserts would have been brocade and not velour. A good velour is probably easier to get for many trim shops.
Is brocade simply the type of cloth, or does it refer to the pattern in it?
If the pattern, I don't think brocade arrived until 71-73 timeframe?

Perhaps "brocade" patterned cloth was not quite the same as the earlier cloth inserts, which usually had a slight metallic thread to go with the metallic/pearl-coat on the vinyl in the interior? The OEM cloth probably had a certain pattern in it, but not as heavy as the later "brocades"?
In any event, NOT velour cloth fabric.

CBODY67

Back