66 Newport 2 door sells for $20,900 + auction fees @ Barrett Jackson

FURYGT

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
1966 CHRYSLER NEWPORT219688- Barrett-Jackson Auction Company - World's Greatest Collector Car Auctions

219688_Front_3-4_Web.png

219688_Rear_3-4_Web.png

I remember this car is posted on this site somewhere. It’s a stunning beauty!:wideyed:

I remember this car from the auction on Thursday/Friday night live. There was a red Mustang showed right before it on stage. I seen the Newport front end on deck next then a commercial. Of course after the commercial the car already rolled through.:(

Beautiful car. Buyer got a deal.
How much did the full rotisserie restoration cost?

Prices are slowly starting to climb.
About 2 years ago at Scottsdale (I think) a teal metallic, body off restoration, 1967 Newport went for $12,500. And at that time a lot of people felt it was the upper limit of what slab-side C bodies were worth.

About 2 years ago at Scottsdale (I think) a teal metallic, body off restoration, 1967 Newport went for $12,500. And at that time a lot of people felt it was the upper limit of what slab-side C bodies were worth.
And they would be wrong:lol:

I guess I'm the dissenting opinion then. I don't see a $21,000 car here.
Yes, it is very nice - slick paint, good chrome, nice colors - but ultimately it is a plain no-option Newport. (no offense to anyone with a Nupe, I'm not knocking the car, just the price of it)
And don't give me the old 'you can't build it for that' - even if you could, how many of us actually would???
The underhood detailing on this one is not-so-fresh if you look closely.
And I must say - the air cleaner decal is SO out of character. Like putting a dollop of icecream in a martini.

upload_2018-6-26_21-54-54.png

I watched this gold one struggle to sell on ebay back in 2014. Comparable, but yet so different.
Bucket seats/buddy seat, AC, PSeat, PWindows, 50k miles, survivor car.
Started at $15k and finally sold for $8500.
Has so much changed in only 4 years, or is the blue one for some reason worth 2.5 times as much???
upload_2018-6-26_22-3-54.png

Somebody thought it was worth it! It was in the right room at the right time. The blue car is a jaw dropper.

Seems like a nice restoration in most respects, but the seats seem to have velour cloth inserts that don't seem to be original to me, but maybe I am wrong since I don't know these cars in detail.

The selling price does seem high to me, but it just takes a couple motivated buyers to outbid each other to run the price that high.

Might have been a bit of "auction fever" too?
I went to a "farm auction" in South Dakota just a couple weeks ago that had over 90 various Mopars and the bidding was stupid insane!
I think people are getting too wrapped up in the "I need to buy something now to remember my youth before I die/gas goes over $5 a gallon" frenzy.

B-J has always been an outlier in price. As in the Olympics one must throw out the high score and low score to get a real score. One item there has absolutely no bearing on cars elsewhere unless you can get your car there and get two bidders to bid against each other. A little drunk wouldn't hurt either. Besides, in the end, what goes up must come down in many things. Oh, and on another besides, what does it matter what your car is worth on the market? I don't ever concern myself with it.

At $20k it may have been the only affordable vehicle at BJ to someone determined to buy something at Barrett Jackson.

This car may very well be an exception but some of the C’s; Specifically 66 300s and 67-70 Fury’s have been steadily rising in prices throughout the market. At least in the US.

Asking prices or selling prices?

65-68 is a different animal than 69 - 71 which I believe has the fastest value / price acceleration of the Cs. The first three years of the fuselage is by far the most in demand C. Which is bringing the highest asking and selling prices.

You very well may be right. People may not be buying them but in the last year I’ve seen asking prices for nice driver 300s grow and grow. I assume it’s that the B and E-Body bubble can’t last forever. Someday people may be scrounging over Sport Fury’s, 300s, Hursts etc

You very well may be right. People may not be buying them but in the last year I’ve seen asking prices for nice driver 300s grow and grow. I assume it’s that the B and E-Body bubble can’t last forever. Someday people may be scrounging over Sport Fury’s, 300s, Hursts etc
They already are.

Back