66 Polara - front disc brake conversion

yabadaba

Reaction score
Hi there, I could do with some advice on exactly what parts to buy for this conversion, as I'm in the UK so want to avoid ordering incorrect parts or missing anything....shipping costs are pretty heavy!

I've looked at the various kits by SSBC, ECI and PST, but my current thinking is that it might be better to just buy the Scarebird adapter brackets and then order the other parts separately, off the shelf, from somewhere like Rock Auto (who I use regularly). I was pretty much swayed towards the Scarebird solution by these two threads (plus the suggested rotors are larger):

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...fury-drum-to-disc-conversation&highlight=SSBC

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...8-scarebird-disk-brake-conversion-on-1964-880

So far my shopping list is based on what the guy in the 2nd link said he used and is as follows:

Scarebird adapter brackets
72 Galaxie rotors
99 Ram 1500 calipers (loaded)
72 Fury inner & outer wheel bearings and seals

But, which brake hoses would I buy? I'm assuming ones for a 99 Dodge Ram 1500 (to be sure they fit the caliper), but what about connecting them up to my existing brake lines?

Also, would I need to buy a replacement MC and booster? I currently have a dual circuit drum brake MC and drum brake booster, but understand that these won't work properly in a disc brake setup? I guess I will need a proportioning block too, to go in the line to the rear drum brakes.

Anything else I should be looking to buy to help make sure I get everything I might need in one hit?

Any advice will be much appreciated. I've been considering the disc brake conversion for years, but all this part matching has always put me off!!

Cheers, David.

I don't know the setup on your car but on my 68 fury I used the stock booster but changed the MC to a disc/drum from a drum/drum. I did not add any prop valve or anything like that, I used what was there already and just changed the MC.

I moved my brake line hard mounts from front of wheel to rear of wheel in the wheelwells.

Use a MC from a disc brake 71-72 Chrysler Newport available on rock auto, yours would be fine except the reservoir may run out of fluid when the pads wear down. Adjustable proportioning valve is not a bad idea while you have the system apart. Normally the brake hose crosses behind the spindle, so that it does not get into weird binds and angles.

Use a MC from a disc brake 71-72 Chrysler Newport available on rock auto, yours would be fine except the reservoir may run out of fluid when the pads wear down. Adjustable proportioning valve is not a bad idea while you have the system apart. Normally the brake hose crosses behind the spindle, so that it does not get into weird binds and angles.
Thank you for that....72 Newport MC now added to my shopping list.

Regarding the brakes hoses, I spotted on one thread where someone had said that the Scarebird kit uses a Camaro flex hose, but I can't find anything else to back that up, or indeed which particular Camaro hose that would be. From what I can make out there isn't a Scarebird kit, as such, just the adapter brackets and then they they simply advise which rotors and calipers to use. Am I just not seeing 'the kit' version? Can anyone confirm which hoses I would need to buy?

No they give you brackets and a shopping list/ part numbers its a good setup because you can source your own stuff, now that may not be as easy in the U.K. like trying different hoses and taking back to you local auto parts. The Ram calipers use a simple banjo bolt fitting which I'm sure is common on domestic cars in the UK so you should be able to find something that works.

No they give you brackets and a shopping list/ part numbers its a good setup because you can source your own stuff, now that may not be as easy in the U.K. like trying different hoses and taking back to you local auto parts. The Ram calipers use a simple banjo bolt fitting which I'm sure is common on domestic cars in the UK so you should be able to find something that works.
Ah, thanks...that explains it....they supply a shopping list. Guess I'll just have to email them and ask them to email me back the list so that I can get everything ordered in one go.

The "car side" of your brake hoses should be "3/16 female inverted flare" fittings. That means a "double flare", not the newer "bubble flare" (~2000+ cars). You need one w/ a hex end that fits in your frame bracket, but I think most U.S. cars had similar for a long time.

Back