66 sport fury center console top removal

66furys

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with pulling the top off the console. I need to access the wiring.....probably dont need to pull the shift knob, just rotate the top once I determine how to pry him off. Please help me minimize the damage with my hammer and chisel. Yes, I have reviewed the manual and also searched here for a bit.....did find lots of associated help while doing that. My poor car looks like one from a junkyard with all instruments and stuff out of the dash, no wheel. Had hoped to drive the junkyard dog while working on it, but everything I touch finds another challenge.....have not gotten to the bottom yet.

As I recall, pulling the whole console is not that big a job, then you'll be able to clean out under it too. I assume you have an automatic? I'm not sure on the shift knob, guessing a set screw somewhere? Good luck.

The top is held on by two screws under the rearmost edge - open the console storage area's lid to find them. The lid's frontmost edge of the console top is a plate that catches under the lip of the console body.

Apply the parking brake, and shift the shifter out of park to allow the lid to move rearward once the two screws are removed.

Last edited:
Reminds me of reading Dune and trying to learn the foreign language used......the yop.....hmmm, sounds like the grandaughter talking. But, I think I understand and will get busy.....thanks for the help.

Back