66 Sport Fury-From The Beginning

OK finally getting on with putting this car back together.
Donor back seat window regulator installed and working again.
Welded in the donor quarter panels and began grinding down the welds. Also cut out and welded in the trunk pan and drops.
Next will be to temp install the fender skirts so fabrication of the lower quarter panels can begin and then weld and grind.
The donor quarter panels look much better than the bashed up panels we found under the bondo.
I've spent the last several days contacting many mopar related salvage operations across the country and still have not managed to locate the two missing pieces of lower passenger belt molding.
Also if anyone out there knows of a vert parts car I just realized I'm gonna need the replacement convertible top retainer? pieces that run along the body that holds down the top and is located under the trim.

welding drivers.jpg

welding drop.jpg

welding passenger.jpg

welding passenger2.jpg

welding trunk.jpg

OK finally getting on with putting this car back together.
Donor back seat window regulator installed and working again.
Welded in the donor quarter panels and began grinding down the welds. Also cut out and welded in the trunk pan and drops.
Next will be to temp install the fender skirts so fabrication of the lower quarter panels can begin and then weld and grind.
The donor quarter panels look much better than the bashed up panels we found under the bondo.
I've spent the last several days contacting many mopar related salvage operations across the country and still have not managed to locate the two missing pieces of lower passenger belt molding.
Also if anyone out there knows of a vert parts car I just realized I'm gonna need the replacement convertible top retainer? pieces that run along the body that holds down the top and is located under the trim.

View attachment 370527

View attachment 370528

View attachment 370529

View attachment 370530

View attachment 370531
Looking good. I am glad you are fitting the skirts now. The guy who did mine didn’t do that and we had some problems later that required modifying the skirts.
That retainer channel is going to be difficult to find and I think someone else was looking for them last year. There are multiple pieces to this and if memory serves me correctly there were 5. Didn’t the parts car have them?
Let me know if you need pics and I will see if I have any.

Parts car has them but they are rusted pretty bad. If I can't clean them up, I'm pretty sure our sheet metal shop foreman can make them...

Just tryin to take everyone along for the ride!
Got the lower quarters welded in and hit with the grinder. Now working on body filler and some misc welding. Repairing one of the rear seat belt mounts that somehow was ripped out by the PO and installing the Sway Bar perches salvaged from the VIP parts car.
Should be shooting primer next week. And another pic of the new trunk pan.....

Filler 1.jpg

Filler 2.jpg

Filler 3.jpg

Filler 4.jpg

Filler 5.jpg

Trunk New.jpg

Wow that brings back memories. These guys are moving at a very good pace much faster than mine was done.

Body shop only has two bays so he likes to keep em moving. Kinda funny we were just talking about that at the shop this evening.

Just tryin to take everyone along for the ride!
Got the lower quarters welded in and hit with the grinder. Now working on body filler and some misc welding. Repairing one of the rear seat belt mounts that somehow was ripped out by the PO and installing the Sway Bar perches salvaged from the VIP parts car.
Should be shooting primer next week. And another pic of the new trunk pan.....

Looks great. But, should those quarters behind the wheel wells tuck in a bit farther? Just wondering if the fender skirts will fit right if the contour is a little off. Here's a couple pictures of mine from about the same angle.
DSCN0166.JPG
DSCN0167.JPG

Last edited:
Another quick update from the body shop.
Hanging the front fenders and priming/blocking the rear quarters and trunk. The blocking reveals the low spots so a little more skim will be needed.
Managed to get the sway bar perches welded onto the frame rails and I forgot to get a picture.
Does anyone know of a source for replacement back side window felt trim? Looks like felt attached to a thin strip of chrome and goes to the outside of the window?
We're also looking for the bolt on tabs that go in the wheel wells to mount the fender skirts to?

block 1.jpg

block 3.jpg

block 4.jpg

block 6.jpg

block 7.jpg

block 9.jpg

I believe you are referring to whiskers. Just did a quick search and found these on Van Auto
CHCCAT176
$135.00

SKU: CHCCAT176

Special thanks to Jim 68cuda who turned me onto a craigslist ad for a SF parts car in TN. I now have the piece of trim I've spent the last couple of months searching for AND the wheel well/fender skirt tabs....

Things are still moving along here.
Final priming and sanding on the main body, fenders, skirts and the wiper panel. Also got the trunk caulked and ready for paint.
Here's a shot of one of the donor sway bar perches and we got some paint!!!!
I know, its not properly mixed and it's on a wooden stir stick but it gives us a sneak peek.....

Also we realized the trunk torsion bars from a hard top will not fit a vert so I spent some time in the pouring rain removing the set off of the vert parts car...

All of the rubber will arrive over the next few days, the new windshield arrived today and the cutting in should begin by Monday.

PP1.jpg

PP3.jpg

PP5.jpg

PP7.jpg

PP4.jpg

PP6.jpg

PP8.jpg

Last edited:
While we were here helping a friend begin the process of installing new siding on our house, John got busy at the paint shop.
Today was cut in day- Undersides of the trunk/hood/engine bay/trunk, etc.
I've only seen this color in pictures-never in person, so there was a bit of apprehension until Steph and I rolled into the paint shop....
I'm absolutely in love with this color so I shot a few pics to share here with all the folks who've been helping us along!!!!

Opinions????

CI10.jpg

CI1.jpg

CI2.jpg

CI3.jpg

CI5.jpg

CI7.jpg

CI8.jpg

CI9.jpg

CI12.jpg

Last edited:
While we were here helping a friend begin the process of installing new siding on our house, John got busy at the paint shop.
Today was cut in day- Undersides of the trunk/hood/engine bay/trunk, etc.
I've only seen this color in pictures-never in person, so there was a bit of apprehension until Steph and I rolled into the paint shop....
I'm absolutely in live with this color so I shot a few pics to share here with all the folks who've been helping us along!!!!

Opinions????

View attachment 373018

View attachment 373019

View attachment 373020

View attachment 373021

View attachment 373022

View attachment 373023

View attachment 373024

View attachment 373025

View attachment 373026
Beautiful! Similar to my Shamu.

F5D3E779-C06D-4724-83FE-F485456AD8C1.jpeg