66 windsor power drum brakes hanging up

Cartel

Reaction score
My brake pedal is sticking and I have to lift the pedal with my toe. I front right gets hot then gets grabby too. All the brakes are pretty much new. Any similar stories out there?
Air in the lines? master cylinder pooched?
I'm gonna pull that drum off and make sure the shoes arent backwards

thanks

If this is a power brake car, odds are the booster is failing. Does it hiss when the pedal is depressed? Were the wheel cylinders serviced at the time the shoes were replaced? A sticking wheel cylinder will cause the brakes on the affected wheel to drag and overheat. A leaking wheel cylinder will cause an erratic pedal and wet, fluid soaked lining will grab and try to stick to the drum. If the master cylinder was replaced at the time of the rest of the brake work, the travel rod may need to be adjusted, this can cause low pedal or brakes that drag, but it should not cause the pedal to fail to return. Shoes that are on backwards will grab and chatter but usually won't cause the pedal to stay down.

Dave

the master, lines hoses wheel cylinders shoes drums were all replaced.
it has riveted wagners in the back and bonded up front.
Not sure if it sat awhile after that was down I'd guess it did

pedal sticks down.
thanks

Is the pedal sticking, or being pulled down by a faulty booster. I'm no expert on power brakes, but I do remember, on one occasion, having to drive with my left toe under the brake pedal to prevent the booster sucking the pedal down. Just a thought. Lindsay

no it stays down after being pressed. Like if I'm taking off speed for a light ahead and give it a press, it wants to stay there and not return
I could temporarily remove to vacuum hose and see if it still does it.
the wheels do spin free when on a jack

I took the wheel and drum off. it looks like its been hot for sure. The drivers side was a sand color brake lining, this looks a bit cooked or contaminated?
shoes are on right, BOB.

If it was the booster you'd think both fronts would be hot...any tips? thanks!

DSC01162.JPG
DSC01163.JPG
DSC01164.JPG
DSC01166.JPG
DSC01167.JPG
DSC01168.JPG
DSC01169.JPG
DSC01170.JPG

There is somethint wrong with the way the hub is sitting on the spindle. Looking at the photo #3, are you sure that this is the correct hub? Looks like the bearing is misaligned due to excessive wear or improper components. Drum will normally be sweged to the hub as well.

Dave

You mean this slinger cup thing? I think it sits offset downward by design.
So what I did was brake clean everything, the drum too, put it back together and when I spun the wheel, it would catch and rub like theres a high spot.
Maybe the drum is egg shaped and bent? I see what you mean about swedged and I'm at a loss now.

2021030.jpg

could this be the original fron drums?

DSC01093.JPG
DSC01094.JPG
DSC01095.JPG

this seems to explain whats going on.
I never knew this so thank you Davea Lux.
Now I got some decisions to make.

Seems the drivers side gets away with throwing the drums on and thats it.
The passenger side not so much. I'll have to pull that drum back off and check the roundness. Its either not true or the studs are worn so that the drum sits off center enough to catch the pads and over heating them? I dont recall having this much trouble with brakes...the worst part is theres no original parts out there.

I think I will try a new drum and see if it spins without grabbing, check that the hub spins with no hops also.

also I dont see nothing about this in the part description or the service manual.

Last edited:
I could and thought of that. Its a bit rough because the garage its in is only enough room to work on 1 side at a time.
I will have to do it though. I could throw on the old kelsey drum to just back it out and back in.

I measured the shoes they are 2.75" and the drum surface is a little over 3"
I took the drum to a brake place and he did some measurements and said its still round so I'm stumped.
The passenger side gets hot and the brake shakes like a warped rotor would, then the sticking pedal....guess I'll try unhooking the power booster next

DSC01215.JPG
DSC01214.JPG
DSC01187.JPG
DSC01188.JPG

Just an update. When I put the drum back on and spin it, it rubs then doesnt rub once a full spin. It looks like the drum is wobbling horizontally in and out.
I'm just gonna buy a new set of drums just so I got them to test out. Nobody in town has any stock and lordco is pretty big here so if they dont even stock it on their system, its best I get some now for the future...which is looking bleak

Just an update. When I put the drum back on and spin it, it rubs then doesnt rub once a full spin. It looks like the drum is wobbling horizontally in and out.
I'm just gonna buy a new set of drums just so I got them to test out. Nobody in town has any stock and lordco is pretty big here so if they dont even stock it on their system, its best I get some now for the future...which is looking bleak
Try www.rockauto.com they have a lot of older mopar brake parts.

Dave

by wobbling horizontally , do you mean the space between the backing plate and drum increases and decreases as you spin the drum? if your wheel bearings are good, i'm starting to wonder if someone smacked a curb and tweaked the hub.

no its like the drum wasnt cast perfect. I just been driving it a few miles then parking, the one side gets a bit hot but I can still touch the drum for a few seconds and it just gets uncomfortable but not burning me. the sticking pedal still rears its ugly head

I put a new drum on and the car was braking great all day yesterday, went 100 miles. Then torwards the end of the day the same front passenger side started getting jiggly under braking. I checked the drums all around a few times wityh my hand and they were all luke warm.

I think the drum is shifting on the hub. this swedging thing and all the other stuff that needs to be done... I watch that busgreasemonkey and I dont see them sanding shoes or swedging wheel studs and thats on 20,000 pound buses. Almost all new cars now just throw a rotor on the hub and go... same in the back even if it is drums.

I never liked drum brakes up front .

Last edited:
Back