67 440 engine questions

Douglas

Reaction score
i pulled a 440 out of a 67 Chrysler Imperial Convertable years ago and stuck it on the shelf. It has a rebuild prior to me purchasing it it was an old mans car i bought the car directly from him. can some one give me some advice on this engine. On the block up front there are markings it shows C 440 then below that 12 5 . On the passinger side of the block it shows a stamping 7 11 66 then 2536430-5 . I am hoping to give this a go through and would like to get more HP out of it with out loosing drivability. I have not removed the valve cover to check on the head stamp as of yet. Thank you in advance

Whats the question? Late `66 made for `67 model year....actually put together on Dec 5th, but block was cast in July. Forged crank motor for sure, and i think once you pull the valve covers, you'll find that the heads are the desireable closed chamber `915 ones, but the the small exhaust valves ones at 1.60". You can certainly rebuild those to use as-is, sell them to get newer more modern aluminum heads, or have them worked and put the 1.74" exhausts in. Modernize to current valve seals and you'll have no issue with lift on any street cam, even a hot one.

if its been rebuilt you wont know what you have till you get it apart...assumed mine was a junkyard engine, turned out to be a .040 over with KB silvolite pistons that worked out to 7.4 to 1 and TRW rebuilt rods that the bolts fell out of...and one 1009 and one 8519 fel pro head gasket

Last edited:
Whats the question? Late `66 made for `67 model year....actually put together on Dec 5th, but block was cast in July. Forged crank motor for sure, and i think once you pull the valve covers, you'll find that the heads are the desireable closed chamber `915 ones, but the the small exhaust valves ones at 1.60". You can certainly rebuild those to use as-is, sell them to get newer more modern aluminum heads, or have them worked and put the 1.74" exhausts in. Modernize to current valve seals and you'll have no issue with lift on any street cam, even a hot one.
thank you

if its been rebuilt you wont know what you have till you get it apart...assumed mine was a junkyard engine, turned out to be a .040 over with KB silvolite pistons that worked out to 7.4 to 1 and TRW rebuilt rods that the bolts fell out of...
oh boy.

if its been rebuilt you wont know what you have till you get it apart...assumed mine was a junkyard engine, turned out to be a .040 over with KB silvolite pistons that worked out to 7.4 to 1 and TRW rebuilt rods that the bolts fell out of...
Quality work. NOT
:lol:

Back