67 heater core

Rickybobby

Reaction score
brand new to this forum, i have a 1967 dodge Monaco, it does have factory ac. i can only find heater cores for non ac, are they the same? if not were do i look for one?.

The A/C heater core unit is different, I would pull out the old one. There are two short hoses inside the heater box that sometimes fail, start there. These cores are hard to come by, you might need to take yours to a good radiator shop to have it repaired if you can not find one on line. The FSM gives detailed instructions on how to pull the heater core, be careful removing the connections for the A/C evaporator, they are also hard to come by and expensive. If you google "heater core for '67 Dodge Monaco with air" a couple of new ones come up on E bay.

Dave

Last edited:
Or replace the whole thing while you’re in there. The whole job is a complete hassle.

F8DEDB0B-E0C9-44B9-A0BD-D4194A601707.jpeg
BF4E5E92-C69E-49BA-B9C6-0989C0B102B6.jpeg
DA920ED5-6420-43CF-8653-657A2950E279.jpeg

I'm not sure if this might relate to the '67 C-body a/c heater core, but when the core on our '66 Newport w/air failed, circa 1975, the parts guy at the dealership traced the '66 part number through the price book and supercession listings until he found a good part number. I asked what it fit? He did some looking and came up with "1970 Charger with a/c". So that's what he ordered and (as far as I know) it was installed (with no delays in the process) and "heat happened" again. No more antifreeze smell or fogged windshield (that wouldn't clear by itself).

CBODY67

I'm not sure if this might relate to the '67 C-body a/c heater core, but when the core on our '66 Newport w/air failed, circa 1975, the parts guy at the dealership traced the '66 part number through the price book and supercession listings until he found a good part number. I asked what it fit? He did some looking and came up with "1970 Charger with a/c". So that's what he ordered and (as far as I know) it was installed (with no delays in the process) and "heat happened" again. No more antifreeze smell or fogged windshield (that wouldn't clear by itself).

CBODY67

Yes, that’s correct. It’s 90% the same setup as the 68-70 B-Body cars. The guts are the same at least.

See the nightmare job here:
Driven Restorations: November 2015

The mouse turds and dead critters and lack of space always make this one of my favorite jobs, Not! Even more fun with ATC.

Dave

The A/C heater core unit is different, I would pull out the old one. There are two short hoses inside the heater box that sometimes fail, start there. These cores are hard to come by, you might need to take yours to a good radiator shop to have it repaired if you can not find one on line. The FSM gives detailed instructions on how to pull the heater core, be careful removing the connections for the A/C evaporator, they are also hard to come by and expensive. If you google "heater core for '67 Dodge Monaco with air" a couple of new ones come up on E bay.

Dave
Hello sir with a hat, I found this old blog and I’m having the same issues with finding it hard to get good instructions to pull the ac/heater core box out of my 1967 Dodge Monaco I’m finally restoring as the specific Dodge Monaco/Polara manual does not give much and doesn’t even mention the ac unit in the removal process so I’m wondering what this FSM your talking about plus I have sent a message to the eBay company selling the whole box with heater core and ac hoping it will fit my Monaco. All the manual says is take off the nuts to the 5 bolts holding the whole box and roll it out of the bottom of the dash but there is no room once you pull the box out towards the dash as the clearance is very tight and the bolts stick out the firewall an inch. Do I have to remove the whole dash? Ok well I haven’t tried it yet but there is only a half inch clearance at the lower dash to box at best by visuals so far.

These heater boxes are a PIA to remove. After everything is unbolted/unhooked under the hood, the glove box, heater control, cables and vacuum hoses, ash tray assembly and all vent hoses need to be removed and gotten out of the way. I usually find it easier to also remove the radio so the wiring harness can be moved up and out of the way as well. You can pull the dash cover off but it is usually better to leave it in place as they tend to get very brittle with age and often they will break. If you wiggle the box with all of the above removed there should be just enough room to free the box and drop it out of the bottom of the dash. If you have not done so already, order a new gasket set for the heater-A/C box as those gaskets are usually always shot. www.detroitmuscletechnologies.com has the replacement gaskets. I am also too old at this point to lay upside down under the dash, so I also pull out the front seat to gain enough room to work comfortably, makes the job somewhat easier.

Dave

just yanked one out of a 68 fury so not your exact model but the box is the same...a couple of hints...make sure you use a second wrench to hold both sides of the evaporator(think the large one you turn the front and the small one you turn the back but i'm not looking at the car) fittings when you unscrew the a/c fittings, and be careful, you dont want to twist and break the evaporator...you have to remove the box off the front that all the flex hoses to the ducts attach to (3 screws along the bottom? and another on one duct)...the duct hoses have a clamp built in where you have to spread 2 tabs apart so the arm will pop up and release the tension...i pulled the dash trim panel and radio...the blower motor/fan comes off into the engine compartment...i left the double brass tube for the heater hoses in place cause they didnt want to come off but normally you pull 4 screws and slide it off to the right...if you do it like this blow the coolant out first or you'll dump at least half the contents on the carpet....passenger seat out, the sharp corners on the box grabbed the carpet on the way out and really broke my chops i think i'm gonna pull it back for the reinstall...i also pulled the heater control valve off the firewall as i was afraid its bowden tube would be destroyed dragging the box past it...the end of it goes into a little access cover that needs to come off...the vacuum tube "harness" had a connector on it about 8 inches from the heater controls where you slid a large metal wrap around clamp off to the side to separate the halves...vacuum source hose off the engine may need to come off too depending on how its been routed...wires have to come off the resistor for the blower speeds(upper left)....theres a 2 piece metal bracket that attaches to the body that supports the box closer to the right side with 1/4 20 hardware...fresh air duct on r/s has to come off, the flanges unbolt and the flex hose is permanently attached to them...you kinda slide the box towards the right side of the car while letting the right end drop down and rotate the bottom towards you to remove it...make sure the evaporator fittings dont get caught on the edge of the hole in the firewall...again lack of carpet and padding should cheat you more room ...my glove box was nonexistant so not an issue for me...i know i forgot something that will screw you up...

Last edited:
Resurrecting this thread again. Going through this and yeah, total PITA. Thanks to @volksworld for the above steps, it really helped!

I'm looking at a couple different sources for the heater core, mopar mall has 2 different parts listed. One for 67-68 and then 69-70. about $50 more for the early. Other sources have one part number for all years.

What's the difference?

Back