68 300 Correct Seat Foam

WSP

Reaction score
I know that this has been discussed before, but did not see a definite answer.
MoparPlus and PG Classic have seat foam$$$ for 68-69 A,B,C body (both #1840-ST68). It looks correct. PG is out of them, and MoparPlus won't answer the phone or return calls, so I can't get measurements. I haven't found any other sources. Legendary does not have them, but does have foam for 68 A and B bodies which looks different.
I have seen folks here question if the C body seat is actually wider. I live in a small town, and the only local upholsterer wants to just bolster the existing foam with new pieces on top and add new jute to the bottom. He says that will stop the "snowing" of foam particles on the floor, which I doubt.
So, does anyone know if the reproduction seat foam sold for A,B,C bodies (#1840-ST68) is good quality and will work on my 68 300?
Sorry for the long note, but these things are expensive, and I want to get it right.

I live in a small town, and the only local upholsterer wants to just bolster the existing foam with new pieces on top and add new jute to the bottom. He says that will stop the "snowing" of foam particles on the floor, which I doubt.

I don't live in a small town but that's exactly what I did with mine! If it's in good shape and not really dry rotted, that will work. You can build your own foam and still have quality results, think of it like stuffing a bra! Get a book, read, do web searches on upholstery, read, read, and read about doing upholstery. It really not that hard, just helps to have extra hands to make to job go easier/faster. Good Luck

I don't live in a small town but that's exactly what I did with mine! If it's in good shape and not really dry rotted, that will work. You can build your own foam and still have quality results, think of it like stuffing a bra! Get a book, read, do web searches on upholstery, read, read, and read about doing upholstery. It really not that hard, just helps to have extra hands to make to job go easier/faster. Good Luck
I lined the bottom of the seat foam in my Mustang with vinyl when I recovered the seat.

As foam ages, it dries out and starts to crumble. Which explains your "snow", I suspect. The jute, with its somewhat coarase and open weave might help this along, possibly?

The jute is a load distributor interface of sorts between the padding and the seat springs. Adding a layer of heavier plastic sheeting (as in a hd garbage bag?) between the jute and foam would be insurance againt future snow, I suspect.

I'd be more concerned about any new foam being of OEM quality and firmness, especially if done by a private shop. You might also check with the local new car dealers' service departments to see where they send vehicles needing warranty upholstery work done, whether to replace a worn panel/section or to install a factory seat cover. That shop would be able to do work at the OEM level of things rather than not, typically.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

The covering is called "muslin" cloth, it's a thinly woven sheet like material. You need to read and learn about the subject to get good results! Good Luck

Hi;
I was suckered into the idea of putting new foam on top of old when i put the Legendary upholstery kit in my 65 300. Bad idea, the seats sag badly and are uncomfortable to use.
I bought new seat buns at the Mopar Nationals 2 years ago, still waiting to install them but avoid doing the same job twice!
I will go to the garage (6 miles away) soon and report back on the supplier.
Mark

Hi;
I was suckered into the idea of putting new foam on top of old when i put the Legendary upholstery kit in my 65 300. Bad idea, the seats sag badly and are uncomfortable to use.
I bought new seat buns at the Mopar Nationals 2 years ago, still waiting to install them but avoid doing the same job twice!
I will go to the garage (6 miles away) soon and report back on the supplier.
Mark

Thanks for the info. A local guy wants to do just that: Put new foam on old. Didn't sound like a great idea.
Another guy want to cut new seat foam out of "uphostery foam", but did not know the type or density.
Think I'll buy the foam from PG Classic when they get some in.
Will be interested in how your premade seat foam works.

When I had my interior done this summer I figured my stitcher guy would just grab some foam and build up the rear seat for the Monaco. Got a quick lesson on foam densities, muslin wrap etc. No they don’t just by some foam at Hobby Lobby and have at it. The base foam they used came with the burlap or muslin on the underside which was very hard to find last summer. This gives them something for the hog rings to grab and clamp to seat springs. They used at least three different density foams to build up that rear seat to reproduce the factory bucket effect.

Last edited:
This I'd like to see, got any pics?

4514793C-822B-4129-94E5-B76DC9A011AE.jpeg

Here you go. (The seat isn’t pushed down into the floor cleats in this shot)
There are two layers of different density in the bottom seat and another density foam for the bolsters and the center pleats.

Back