'68 300 headlight motor - where is the power plug supposed to be in the harness?

barsteel

Reaction score
Hello!

Finally located a working motor for the headlight doors on my '68 300; All of the other parts are in place and moving freely.

I mounted the motor in place, but there isn't any plug coming out of the wiring harness to provide power to the motor, or at least not that I can find. I looked in the factory manual to see if I could locate the power source, but I couldn't find anything.

So...where is the power plug for the motor?

Thanks...

Chris

Grab your FSM and figure out what plug the door wires come from the bulkhead connector on the firewall. If they are there, follow the wires down to the end. They probably are on the same plug as the wiring for the headlights.

John - I'll look again, but I couldn't find the headlight door power feed anywhere on the wiring diagram. I'll check the bulkhead connector diagram to see if they specifically call it out.

The pigtail coming off the motor is all of 2" long, so it looks like there should be a wire coming out of the loom where it passes right over the motor on the radiator support.

Chris

The harness follows a path bellow the radiator support, alongside the passenger side headlight/ marker light harness... I took a few pics of my harness...look for this gray connector on the inner fender = this is where the headlight door motor harness plugs into. If you find that your harness is missing altogether = it should not be too difficult to make a harness to run out to the motor, until you can find an original harness somewhere !! IMG_5666.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5666.jpg

Move -

Thank you, that was just what I was looking for. I was wondering what that plug on the DS wheel well was for...

Chris

Move -

Thank you, that was just what I was looking for. I was wondering what that plug on the DS wheel well was for...

Chris

!!!!!! COOL, that is good news that you have that plug at the least!! You could "hot wire" it for now and relish in the operation of the hidden headlights !!!!

So...anyone out there have a factory hidden headlight harness they'd be willing to sell?

I can easily make one out of spade connectors, and I will, but factory usually looks a lot cleaner.

Chris

I will heading up to my favorite salvage yard located in Oxford Maine in a few weeks (gotta let some of the leaves fall to properly navigate this yard)I will be on the look out for a compatible harness...no 68 300s in there = but PLENTY of other C body and 71 /72 Charger hidden headlight cars!! although you would have to lengthen a Charger harness = If I find a good C body one I will snag it for you!IMG_1044.jpgIMG_1050.jpgIMG_2686.jpgIMG_2726.jpgIMG_2731.jpg

IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_2686.jpg

IMG_2726.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

Will do!! It's always nice to have another " mission" when hunting in that yard.... I gives me a focus!

The later model harness is not going to include the plug on the fenderwell. The one in my 70 goes to the firewall and plugs into the bulkhead connector.

You can shorten it and add the plug.... Just don't expect it to be the same.

Man I love hidden headlights. My 68 Cougar had them, but they were vacuum operated. It was the thing to swap them for Miata headlight door motors.

Move -

Cool. Thanks. Let me know if you get one.

Chris
I snagged a headlight motor harness out of a 73 Imperial today, plug and wires look very good - I un taped the harness and cut the wires as close to the firewall bulkhead as possible!! I also found a male /female "T" connector out of a 68 Fury and snipped that as well!! you should have everything you need to make up a factory looking 68 harness now!! Let me know where to send the parts !!

Back