68 300 with a non 440????

AlVal74

Reaction score
Hello all. It's been awhile since I posted anything so I'd like so insight/advice on a recent discovery I made. So a few years back I purchased a 68 300 with a 440. So this week I finally got to yanking the motor and trans out only to find out that it's not a 440 but a 400 born on 4/26/76. So my question is just keep going and rebuild the 400 and slap it back in. Option 2, try and locate a 440 and significantly raise my costs and time wasted. Or C, totally scrap it all because I'm thoroughly disgusted right now. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd say a built up 400 (even mildly) wouldn't be a bad option. Since you never knew the difference anyways, rebuild the 400, put some goodies on it and be done. Who knows what happened to the
orig motor.

What do you intend to do with the car that requires a 440 instead of a fresh rebuilt 400?

Will a 440 take the wife/kids/grandkids to get ice cream on Saturday night any quicker that a 400 would?

Will a 400 look any different to the average Joe or car owner than a 440 will at the local coffee cruise in?

Will you smile less when you drive the car?

Last edited:
My name is Al. I'm 45 and about to acquire a 1968 Chrysler 300 as my first classic resto. I have always loved rebuilding/repairing cars and bikes. This is my first total restoration and am going to need tons of help. Thanks

Or C, totally scrap it all because I'm thoroughly disgusted right now.
it's been a long road. how have you done with the rest of the car because i can understand why you might be disgusted right now? i'd have to agree with @69CoronetRT above. use it as is and try to get some use out of the car after all you've gone through.

You are all right!! I'm going to continue with the 400 and in the future if I come across a 440 maybe I'll swap it.i guess I was just disappointed that it wasn't the original engine like I thought. After reading you guys comments and that I intended it to be a cruiser anyways, a 400 freshened up will be fine. Plus I read that parts are cheaper so win win. Thanks a lot for the eye opener.

Then again, a 440 is what it was born with! As an owner of a 68 300, I would be crushed to discover mine was mismatched. Its a personal thing.

You are all right!! I'm going to continue with the 400 and in the future if I come across a 440 maybe I'll swap it.i guess I was just disappointed that it wasn't the original engine like I thought. After reading you guys comments and that I intended it to be a cruiser anyways, a 400 freshened up will be fine. Plus I read that parts are cheaper so win win. Thanks a lot for the eye opener.
I think I would keep my eyes and ears out for a rebuildable era correct 440, keep the 400 for a spare.

Then again, a 440 is what it was born with! As an owner of a 68 300, I would be crushed to discover mine was mismatched. Its a personal thing.

dd.jpg

If you've been enjoying the 400, build it and continue to do so. I had one for a long while wanting to drop a 440 crank into it. Those are really cool!

thoroughly disgusted
After fifty years, and subsequent owners, it's possible that there was no intention of deception. The engine swap could have been done over forty years ago when 400s were more common in the junkyards. So the story may have been: it's a used car needing an engine, and they found one that fit.

Isn't there a problem between internal verses external balancing when it comes to the 400? He can't just drop in a 440 and go on his merry way, yes?

You are correct the 400 will be externally balanced which would require the proper weighted torque converter, or the use of the B&M counter weighted flex plate to make it work with the stock 68 torque converter.

Hello all. It's been awhile since I posted anything so I'd like so insight/advice on a recent discovery I made. So a few years back I purchased a 68 300 with a 440. So this week I finally got to yanking the motor and trans out only to find out that it's not a 440 but a 400 born on 4/26/76. So my question is just keep going and rebuild the 400 and slap it back in. Option 2, try and locate a 440 and significantly raise my costs and time wasted. Or C, totally scrap it all because I'm thoroughly disgusted right now. Thoughts? Suggestions?

I feel your pain. I went through the same thing with my '66 300 convertible. When I bought the car, I believed it had a 440 TNT engine ( I think the previous owner thought so too). Turned out it had a 383. I was so upset with myself for being such a dufus, I decided to wait and look for a 440 - hopefully a date correct '66. I finally found one complete for $750. I had it rebuilt, and the old 383 is sitting on an engine stand in my garage. That 400 you have is a low compression low performance motor. It will never satisfy you. . .

I've never owned a vehicle with a 400 so I can't comment. I had a Belvedere with a 383 that was built with a lumpty lump cam. It was a blast to drive on the open road, but would heat up in traffic and fight my brakes at intersections. My current 66 New Yorker has a smooth running 440 that is all original.. and wow... do I love that smooth effortless acceleration. I feel like I'm never more than a 1/4" into the accelerator and it just glides right up to freeway speeds. Something to be said about a bone stock 440!

Best engine I ever had, 400 - 4 out of a 69 Polara 500. Yes, I thought it was a 383 till I pulled it and it had orange paint under the blue. A early 72 HP engine cast in 71 somehow found its way into a 69 Polara. Great, great engine.

Back