68 newport vac cannister

Tonybkel@newulmte

Reaction score
I am putting a 68 Newport convertible together for a guy, unfortunately I did not take it apart and whoever did was not very organized. I came across a vac canister with mounting tabs 180 degrees from each other it is about 4 inches across with 2 small vac fittings on the top of it, painted black. the vac fittings appear to be the same size as the heater controls. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

The car has ATC, this is the vacuum reservoir for the slave circuit. It is mounted on the right side inner fender towards the front of the car

In general, all it can be is a reservoir, vacuum check valve for the hvac system. If there was a vacuum-operated parking brake release, it would need something as this, but that was an Imperial-only item, back then.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

IMG_0306.JPG
IMG_0305.JPG

One other use for the "soup can reservoir" is for a vacuum controlled truck lock release

That's it, the convertible I am working on as I see it so far only has vac operated heater controls, I have only seen the two items in the pic for cruise control in the past? So I should be looking for vacuum line that would run from the intake to this canister and then going back into the car to supply the heater controls? Just wonder then if all 68 Chryslers had this, the Newport was not the top of the line.

In my photo -You are looking at the two reservoirs for the two separate vacuum circuits to operate an automatic temperature control system....the ball is for the control circuit-the can is for the slave circuit. The easiest way to tell if the car you're working on has ATC -is to look at the dash control panel.... a switch for fan speed is a manual AC system - or a dial that indicates temperature settings ( numbers) is the ATC system. The picture I provided has nothing to do with cruise control

Back