68 Newport wheel ideas wanted

Castle

Reaction score
Looking to see what rim and tire combos people are putting on their 67/68 Newports... custom, OEM, aftermarket, or just simple creative solutions... pics please, Thanks!

s-l500 (1).jpg
Here's what Keystones look like on my 68 300

I tend to do with either stock, or what could have been ordered (at the time, in 1968 for this case) from a dealer when it was new. With '67 or '68 you're lucky, as Magnum 500 wheels were new then, and one could have ordered a new '68 Newport with them in 1968; and you can still get them now.

There's also an aftermarket version that I think Cragar makes, Magnum510? Machined and polished. Many sizes. Just make sure to match the backspacing to about 4.25" for a 15x7 size.

The Chrysler Rallyes might be an option, too. Wheel Vintiques has them plus the Magnum 500 repros. The '81 Cordoba 5 on 5 spoke wheels, as in post #7 look good, too! 15x7 sizing. I've also seen them with the smaller spokes cut out, which gives an aluminum Magnum 500 look. Wouldn't mind finding some of those myself.

CBODY67

Come to think of it, the Magnums on my Plymouth may be the Magnum 510s. I know they are machined and polished. I know that because one of the things I told them when buying was that the current - now previous - wheels I had put on the car had started rusting from day one and that if whatever I bought from them did the same thing I would be bringing them back. I was told mine would never rust. So far, there hasn't been even a hint of rust
IMG_5176.JPG

Sorry, I'm probably boring everyone with this picture by now but I like it. :-D

How about steel wheels with trim rings and either RWL or WSW tires? I think those would give an individual but classic look.

American Racing makes a reasonably priced billet aluminum version of the Magnum 500 in a lot of different sizes that might be an option.

And here is a picture of my 68 Sport Fury with the American Racing 501s on it. My car came stock with the 14" Magnum 500s but I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes. In early 2017 I finally got a set of '73 Chrysler disc brakes on it (with a lot of help from my friends) and that forced my hand on new wheels and tires, too. My first thought was reproduction 15" Magnums but my friends all advised me to go with more modern wheel sizes to take advantage of the excellent modern tires. I settled on a set of 17" American Racing 501s and could not be happier. They look great, they are very reasonable ($180 each delivered from Summit) and they look almost just like the original Magnum 500s. Ultimately, though, you should go with what you like best. After all, its your car and your money, so get what you want and enjoy it!
68 Sport Fury 2.JPG
68 Sport Fury VN501 & Comp Sport TA 2.JPG
68 Sport Fury.JPG

What size tires are you running?
215/70R/15 on the front

255/60R/15” on the back
They fill the wheel well nicely and retain the original circumference
I had to space out the front wheels with a 5/16" spacer not that i wanted to but to clear the 73 Chrysler disc brake setup.
Can't notice the offset and the tread is wearing very uniformly.

Last edited:
Come to think of it, the Magnums on my Plymouth may be the Magnum 510s. I know they are machined and polished. I know that because one of the things I told them when buying was that the current - now previous - wheels I had put on the car had started rusting from day one and that if whatever I bought from them did the same thing I would be bringing them back. I was told mine would never rust. So far, there hasn't been even a hint of rustView attachment 205623

Sorry, I'm probably boring everyone with this picture by now but I like it. :-D

That's really beautiful I don't think I've ever seen a pillarless 67 or 8 Fury 4 door.

And here is a picture of my 68 Sport Fury with the American Racing 501s on it. My car came stock with the 14" Magnum 500s but I wanted to upgrade to disc brakes. In early 2017 I finally got a set of '73 Chrysler disc brakes on it (with a lot of help from my friends) and that forced my hand on new wheels and tires, too. My first thought was reproduction 15" Magnums but my friends all advised me to go with more modern wheel sizes to take advantage of the excellent modern tires. I settled on a set of 17" American Racing 501s and could not be happier. They look great, they are very reasonable ($180 each delivered from Summit) and they look almost just like the original Magnum 500s. Ultimately, though, you should go with what you like best. After all, its your car and your money, so get what you want and enjoy it!

Will those wheels accept the stock Magnum 500 style center caps? The ones in the pics look shorter like ford versions.

Back