68 NYer Radiator

live4theking

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Last summer when I was flushing the engine and radiator I pulled it and found that some previous damage had been repaired. Now I/m trying to determine if it might be leaking from the same location.

I've got a good trustworthy radiator shop in town that I can take it too. I'm wondering about recoring or just getting a new Spectra unit.

New Spectra Premium Radiator Core, CU332

Prices online are all over the board from $206 and up for the same part number.

What are your thoughts on the quality of Spectra radiators?

Thanks

I have used them in the past without any problems, I use the fuel tanks all the time with no problems.

The local radiator shop they advised that I would have well over $100 in a repair. They asked if I had looked into a new one. I told them yes that I could get a Spectra CU332 from $206 and up. They advised to buy a new. So, that's what I'm going to do.

So, in my search for a radiator I almost purchased this one from Advanced Auto. What stopped me was reading the answer to the second question. It has plastic tanks! I was considering it because I found a 20% off coupon.

Carquest Radiator from Advanced Auto

Anyways I found a 20% off coupon for AutoZone with free shipping (because over $100). I'll get the Spectra CU332 for $183.92 + tax. Not to bad for a brand new radiator.

I couldn't see putting over 1/2 of that into a repair on a piece that has already been repaired at least once.

It sounds like the radiator shop didn't want to be liable in case their repair didn't last. If you suspect a leak, I would take the pressure off the system and see if it makes a difference. Depending on the kind of driving you're doing, it may be okay. If peace of mind is more important, go ahead and buy new; assuming the hoses have also been replaced. My usual method for a zero p.s.i. system is to cut a slit in the gasket of the radiator cap.

I couldn't see putting over 1/2 of that into a repair on a piece that has already been repaired at least once.

I used the Spectra in my Newport. You will have to drill some new mounting holes, but no big deal. Purchased from Auto Zone.

WP_20150711_005.jpg

Last edited:
The Spectra is a good price, the last mopar rad I had a recore done on I believe we had well over 250 in it.

I just replaced the radiator in my 66 New Yorker with a Spectra unit. You will be getting a unit with more tubes across the core. A good thing. You should be happy with the fit.

Does anyone know if these Radiators will fit a 65? Spectra doesn't show that it does but they look identical for hose placement. ANy Thoughts?

I have a Spectra in my car. Decent quality and direct bolt in. The fan shroud even fits nice.

Back