68 Polara single din radio install

LetMeBeFrank

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a 68 Polara from my buddy and I want to install a modern stereo, but I don't want to cut up the dash. I have the dash with the single hole, but it's just slightly too small to fit a modern radio (plus the notch at the top).

I'm picky when it comes to audio, and the retro sound radios just don't cut it for me. I want the latest bluetooth codec and a high quality DA converter, not to mention balance, fade and EQ settings.

All that is to say, I'm set on a single-din stereo, and I would like to know or see pictures of how you guys have installed similar in your cars. I'm thinking of maybe a center console on the hump in front of the bench seat with the stereo facing upward?

Thanks!

I don't know if you realize but there are outfits that the guys will recommend here that will convert your original radio for AM/FM Bluetooth /outputs for an external amp and the whole nine yards. That way it still looks stock but up to date internals.

You might be able to install it where the ash tray goes with a custom mount.

68 polara dash.JPG

Jeff

@Turboomni thanks for that link. Those prices are waaayyy out of my league just for a head unit though. I like your username. I had a 85 Daytona turbo with a t2 swap. Sold it about 7 years ago.

@bigmoparjeff that's a good suggestion. I'll look into that tomorrow.

@Turboomni thanks for that link. Those prices are waaayyy out of my league just for a head unit though. I like your username. I had a 85 Daytona turbo with a t2 swap. Sold it about 7 years ago.

Just wanted you to know that option was out there. Yes I have a 1986 Omni GLHS Shelby ,did have a new 86 Omni Glht and I souped up a turbo caravan

It is possible the normal single DINs are measured with the mounting sleave on. Removing it might get you a little smaller. Also there are stereos for other situations like motorcycles, boats, atvs and RVs that have very different boxes on back. Maybe they would fit. For the little notch at the top ther are a bunch of things you could fill in with.

This one with built in speakers looks interesting. Not as main speakers of course.

This is a single DIN with all the bells & whistles you mentioned above.
Not sure of the look you are going for but you will have to sacrifice some metal though unless you get the OEM gutted and modernized...

I still had to carefully square out the hole from the factory since there is no manufacturer of the old Craig R3 systems that have the adjustable position stems anymore.
My dash was a bit hacked up from the R3 install from a PO so it wasn't so much of a decision to make.

I installed this into my Polara convertible which was a huge upgrade from the old Craig R3 & it's great at lower speeds.

In a HT it should provide plenty of sound at a reasonable price.

Wish you all the best in this part of the upgrade.

IMG_6702.JPG
IMG_6705.JPG
IMG_6799.JPG

I ended up mounting the stereo in the ash tray area. I removed the ash tray, then cut a universal single din mount from metra (99-9000) down to about 5" deep with a band saw, which allows it to fit in this area.

7XtXf9M.jpg

The radio I used is a kenwood kmm-bt728hd.

Eventually I will make a pod to go under the dash for front speakers. For now I'm I'm only using rear speakers.

ZqKWdvf.jpg

These are kicker KS 6x9s (47KSC69304) with "boom mats" underneath. Also, I used a $13 rubber backed utility rug from lowes to make a new package tray cover. In the spring we're going to fix the leaking back window and put a new vinyl top on it, then I'll get some actual hard board.

Why bother with an aftermarket radio or conversion when there’s a much simpler solution that doesn’t modify anything and is cheaper? Get an aftermarket amplifier and hide it somewhere- I like to put it under the seat with Velcro if there’s room. Then you can use any device you wish as an input- phone, ipod, MP3 player, whatever. Get a Bluetooth adapter if the amplifier doesn’t have that already or just use a 3.5mm cable. Put in a couple high quality 6 x 9’s if the shelf has provisions or work some other arrangement. You can even use portable battery-powered Bluetooth speakers if you don’t want to touch a thing.

Last edited:
Why bother with an aftermarket radio or conversion when there’s a much simpler solution that doesn’t modify anything and is cheaper? Get an aftermarket amplifier and hide it somewhere- I like to put it under the seat with Velcro if there’s room. Then you can use any device you wish as an input- phone, ipod, MP3 player, whatever. Get a Bluetooth adapter if the amplifier doesn’t have that already or just use a 3.5mm cable. Put in a couple high quality 6 x 9’s if the shelf has provisions or work some other arrangement. You can even use portable battery-powered Bluetooth speakers if you don’t want to touch a thing.

That would work for most people. Like I said in the first post I want more control, and for the price you can't beat a head unit.

Also I didn't modify anything but a $12 radio mount, the dash is untouched. if I want to go back to stock it would take 5 minutes or less.

I think it's a nice, clean installation.

Only a hard core smoker should have an issue with this method.

Jeff

I like how you mounted the radio. If I didn't keep stuff in my coin tray I could've done this. I built a console to sit on the hump in my NYer. I need to make some adjustments to it, but it works and holds the gauges and two USB charging ports. Also it cup holders and storage.

Back