68 rear axle help

Wojtek

Reaction score
I had leaking seals. Did the drivers side replaced everything no problem. Took the passenger out replaced every . but when i put the axle back in it dosent go in fully has a bit of a gap. And if i tighten the bolts down the axle wont spin at all. Ive tried adjusting the retainer in and out didn't help. What did i mess up?

20200517_145301.jpg

20200517_130329.jpg

I assume you are reinstalling the same axles and bearings
1. Most likely the seal(s) are hitting the bearing retainer, if so, you need to push the seals farther in.
Pull the axle on the opposite side, does the axle that would not seat now go into place? If not it is probably hitting the seal.
Is this an open rear end or a sure grip?

Be sure to consult the FSM on how to adjust the axle free play as you changed that setting by moving the adjuster.

Dave

Looks like the adjuster is too far in to me. Back out the adjuster and then turn and push axle in to make sure its seated. Otherwise, like Davea says sure grip, meaning thrust button fell out. Craig

Same axle new bearings and its a open rear end. Thanks for the replies i will look at the seal and read up on the adjustment

Wait a minute......Your retainer "flange" is on backwards. Check the manual. And you did pack the bearings, I can't tell from the picture. Craig

Last edited:
Axle in the foreground of take one is missing the retainer, oops. Pass the bong man!

Dave

It's funny when you watch the show and they have quick little scene flashes an ya turn your head an say wtf did I just see? Then you watch it on the computer with a good media player where you can jump forward or backwards in 5 second intervals and also do frame by frame and you see stuff you wouldn't notice right off even on the biggest widescreen tv.

Like when Will & whatever the other guys name is broke the windshield on this super duper all original very rare (aren't they all) Challenger.

Graveyard.Carz.S05-E04.hdtv.docere_00_06_30_03.jpg

Graveyard.Carz.S05-E04.hdtv.docere_00_11_55_01.jpg

Big Oooops.

Back