WANTED 68 throttle kick down linkage 4brl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Hello,

I'm looking for the intake manifold mounted transmission kick-down linkage for a 68 H-code (4 barrel carb) Newport. I'm not sure I have the correct description, but this is the part that has a shaft from the carb, and pivots over the engine to work the transmission kick down (throttle pressure) level.

I'm uncertain if this is Newport specific.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Be aware, there are several different setups for mid-late 60s bigblock KD linkage, and a mix-match set can cause a bunch of grief.

On my avatar car I could never really hear my secondaries opening.
Never could get a good adjustment of full throttle + proper shifting. I pushed the KD linkage to full-throttle and adjusted teh slider at the carb to hit FT there, but it never drove like it was correct even with repeated fiddling. But I had a 318 throttle cable and a modified bracket on my intake manifold to align the cable to teh carb shaft (due to an aluminum intake) so I figured it was a problem I created for myself during the engine swap years before. I hate 1-2 shifts at 10mph so I adjusted for proper shifting and drove around as a 440 2-barrel.

Last year, as I was going thru my box of loose KD pieces to mock up a 3-piece setup on a loose 383/AT, I made a discovery.

For the vertical rod at the rear of the engine, I had rods of 2 different lengths, and 1 rod clearly did not allow proper adjustment (and this was with a stock intake and no throttle cable) but the other did. So I visited teh car, removed its rod, compared, and swapped the other length in. Did an adjustment with the new-length rod, and I got proper shifting AND the last 10% of my throttle travel.

I say 10% because the car felt like it gained ~30hp or so. Very noticeable. Was satisfying to reflect upon how well it ran as a 440-2, but the 440-4 was eye-opening.

Thanks. agreed. I had to engineer/mickey mouse a solution for my 383 6-pack Newport. They didn't make too many stock 6-pack kick down linkages for 383 Newports (albeit probably many B bodies might be similar).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back