69" 300 convertible rear speaker grille

Aussie 69"

Reaction score
Murray Bridge, South Australia, Australia
Hi Guys, Aussie 69" back after doing a heap of work on the 300 convertible. have had the door handles and the rear speaker grille surround re-chromed and then had the curved bit on the top re-frosted and the black paint insert done but the rear speaker grille is shot to pieces. I spent 2 days running around Adelaide but could not locate anything like it, spent 4 hours on the internet with no luck, doe's anyone know where I can source the proper perforated aluminium? I have posted a photo of it.

Can't wait till spring in 4 and a half weeks time to get out there and do some serious cruzin!!! :yaayy: 20150727_191806[1].jpg

20150727_191806[1].jpg

Hi Vdk, after the re-chrome I roughed up the area to be done with wet and dry so the primer had something to adhere to, then I bought a can of "steel wheels" and gave it a few coats and then baked it in front of our wood fire. The hardest part was taping up several times. There are a couple of pits that I decided not to repair and left it that way but I may fill the pits and respray soon.
Have a look at the photo. Bob20150729_082805[1].jpg20150729_082814[1].jpg20150729_082822[1].jpg

20150729_082805[1].jpg

20150729_082814[1].jpg

20150729_082822[1].jpg

Wow looks great. I am also looking for the material and will let you know if I can source it. Makes me want to get mine rechromed too. How will you fill in the pits on the frosted area? I just keep looking at the pics and hope mine can look that good too.

You could try using Devcon aluminium putty to fill in the pits. Devcon is a top quality product and is milspec graded. We used it in the airforce to restore corroded cast pieces to airworthy condition again.

Hey Aussie69. I found a manufacturer that might be able to help us with the grill material. I'll update you when I hear back from them.rear seat speaker grill 001.jpgrear seat speaker grill 003.jpg

rear seat speaker grill 001.jpg

rear seat speaker grill 003.jpg

Hi Wolfen,

Great I will remove the frosting and primer and fill in the pits, will load a picture when done. I also found a supplier in Australia that does a similar grill mesh but the holes are offset a bit and is not quite correct but its only noticeable up close and is made of stainless steel. I see bildog may have found the mesh as well. Bob

Great!!!! let me know, you will probably find that they will want you to buy a complete sheet 1200mm x 2400mm but if it can be cut in a square close to size I am sure there will be plenty of us that will buy a piece each. Bob

Also guys I have noticed quite an oil leak coming from the front of the engine (440) but cant seem to locate where its coming from, any ideas. Bob
If it is definitely from the front of the engine then the only two places i have think of would be the front harmonic balance seal or the timing cover gasket, the timing cover would have to be removed either way.

Hello guys
I have a 68 Sport Fury Convertible and I am also chasing the mesh for mine. Can you tell me where you found the mesh?
Cheers Trevor

Hello Aussie 69

I am interseted is some mesh for my 68 where did you find the mesh or do you have a piece for sale?

Cheers Trevor

20150808_095252[1].jpg20150808_095149[1].jpg20150808_095146[1].jpg
Hello Aussie 69

I am interseted is some mesh for my 68 where did you find the mesh or do you have a piece for sale?

Cheers Trevor

Hi Trevor, the pictures are attached and the material is stainless from Eagle Perforations in Australia. A sheet is AU$500 ( everything is expensive In Australia ) I reckon that I could get about 32 pieces out of the 2.4 x 1.2 metre sheet so the cost would be around $15.63 per piece. Are there any others that would be interested? Maybe I should advertise on this site?

Bob

20150808_095252[1].jpg

20150808_095149[1].jpg

20150808_095146[1].jpg

Hey guys, I have found something that, according to the specs, sounds like a very close match. It is stainless, same pattern with approximately a .05 difference in the dot size smaller. And it is 24 ga stainless. I am trying to get over to the supplier to take a look next week to compare to my grill, then try and arrange breaking the 3'x8' sheet down into 11x6.5" rectangles. The material without cutting comes to less than $10 each. Cutting seems like the expensive part and could run it up to over $34 each. USPS 2 day shipping is about $6 each or so. I'll do my best to get an answer this coming week and let you know. Let me know who is in around this price. There will be 42 pieces to go around.

speaker grille

Hey guys, I have found something that, according to the specs, sounds like a very close match. It is stainless, same pattern with approximately a .05 difference in the dot size smaller. And it is 24 ga stainless. I am trying to get over to the supplier to take a look next week to compare to my grill, then try and arrange breaking the 3'x8' sheet down into 11x6.5" rectangles. The material without cutting comes to less than $10 each. Cutting seems like the expensive part and could run it up to over $34 each. USPS 2 day shipping is about $6 each or so. I'll do my best to get an answer this coming week and let you know. Let me know who is in around this price. There will be 42 pieces to go around.

Hi Bildog,

if its closer to the original that the one we found above I and a few others would be keen, if you can get the photo that would be great. bob

Well, I have finally worked out the details on the reproduction speaker grills. I have purchased the material and have scheduled production to produce exact duplicates in shape and mounting holes for the speaker grills. You just need to punch two or three holes to mount your emblem then mount the grill into your existing surround. They are the material quoted above and are $40 + $3 shipping in the US. Also ship overseas. These are as close to original as can be. Should be ready to ship by Sept 8 or sooner. PM me if you're interested. I'll invoice you through paypal. Also see photos under the "for sale" section. I know you won't be disappointed as these are water jet cut and it wasn't a quickie project.

Back