69 Chrysler 300 Cowl Vent Drain @ A/C Drain

MJFUR

Reaction score
When you wash the car and the cowl vent area fills with water, where is is supposed to drain out at.

Where is the A/C condensation supposed to drain out at?

Thx

20220529_200541.jpg

A/c evaporator coil drain, should be a straight little tube (3/8" or so?) sticking horizontally out of the lower cowl area about in front of the passenger's seating position. Might need to get under the car to see it, but it's somewhere in that area.

The cowl drain(s) are separate. No water should be getting into the a/c case from outside, as it has to come through the rh cowl vent area to get there. Which also means it might also be inside the car if sealing is not good. The cowl drain is usually on the rh of center middle-height area of the cowl. A simple flap of thin rubber. Enough to keep hot underhood out of the cowl, but thin enough to not have any real resistance to water in the cowl coming out easily. Seems like there are also some cowl drains that also send water into the hollow rocker panels to drain out of holes on their bottom side?

Might need to remove the cowl screen and search the inner cowl area for some accumulation of leaves or similar?

Do ALSO check the bottom of the a/c case for gasket leaks, too. The stiffer rubber foam gasket does not, by observation, seal against the metal slip-on nuts very well. Our '72 Newport Royal had leaks. My '70 Monaco did not, BUT when I pulled up the rubber factory floor mats, there was moisture under them in the carpet.

Please advise of your investigation and findings,
CBODY67

Rubber flap below the wiper motor. Often plugged with leaves and pine needles.
Also there should drains on the bottoms of the front fenders to allow water that runs down the outsides of the cowl. Again, often plugged.

Water in the AC core is a different problem - there should be two drain pipes that allow water to drain from the AC box. Found typically on the passenger side of the cowl.

I'll have to look at the car tomorrow, but this is what I have from some dated pics.

The Cowl Vent and A/C drain are two separate questions. I gave the car its first wash and have water in the vent cowl area.

I havent run the A/C long enough for it to drain, but needed to know where to look and un-plug line if needed. Thx

20220317_114248a.jpg

20220317_114248b.jpg

The drain spouts (not rubber tubes or round pipe) poke thru the firewall as shown in the light blue markings. Very hard to see as they're under the AC box and don't poke out much.
Drain locations in blue.jpg
Drain spouts poke thru firewall.jpg

Back