69 Fury hood trim and eyebrows, option?

Stargazer

Reaction score
Just curious guys,

my Fury has the eyebrows, but no trim on front of the hood. Very hard to find part.
I noticed on the internet not many 69 Furies seem to have these trim parts. Back then, was this a option or extra to choose at the dealership?

Comparing Fury pics with or without the trim, I actually like those without the trim better. Car looks wider, more aggresive.

So I'm gonna put the eyebrows on a shelf, have the holes on the corner pieces welded shut, and painted. That will make the car look better, for me personally.

20210205_120021.jpg

Looks like my car ,same year and color without the eyebrows.

I would have suspected those moldings might have been exclusive to the Fury III models and above and possibly optional on the Fury I and II models, but the 1969 Chrysler parts book (at www.mymopar.com, which I had to do a Google search for, rather than directly from www.mymopar.com, as in the past) indicates that all 1969 Furys had both the fender extension chrome and related hood front edge chrome trim. Fury I to Sport Fury and all wagons, no exceptions. The Data Books at www.hamtramch-historical.com mentioned neither.

Perhaps there were plant/production number breaks of what might have gotten what? In the mean time, probably best to have everything match.

CBODY67

I would have suspected those moldings might have been exclusive to the Fury III models and above and possibly optional on the Fury I and II models, but the 1969 Chrysler parts book (at www.mymopar.com, which I had to do a Google search for, rather than directly from www.mymopar.com, as in the past) indicates that all 1969 Furys had both the fender extension chrome and related hood front edge chrome trim. Fury I to Sport Fury and all wagons, no exceptions. The Data Books at www.hamtramch-historical.com mentioned neither.

Perhaps there were plant/production number breaks of what might have gotten what? In the mean time, probably best to have everything match.

CBODY67
Wow that seems strange since most Furies don't carry the trim. Confusing to say the least..

Fyi the eyebrows on the 69 Dodges are the same as Fury. With the exception of the optional wide moldings for the Dodges
Kinda think of it the extra trim on the Fury's was their answer to the Dodge wide moldings...maybe??
Also if the Fury had the extra moldings some had the bumper filler painted silver-- that itself is in its own thread lol!!

Fyi the eyebrows on the 69 Dodges are the same as Fury. With the exception of the optional wide moldings for the Dodges
Kinda think of it the extra trim on the Fury's was their answer to the Dodge wide moldings...maybe??
Also if the Fury had the extra moldings some had the bumper filler painted silver-- that itself is in its own thread lol!!

Ok interesting! Dodges and Plymouth's!

I just read a thread about the silver bumper filler :icon_fU:

They were on the VIP model. I have a set from a high option 69 Fury VIP.

The “front trim” and “eye brow” moldings were a mid year styling update to help increase “lagging sales”.

In 1969 all Fury models were to have the 1970 style “loop front bumper”, but the styling department changed the design so many times,...they ran out of time to get the front end completed. The styling department was so late with the design, they were told to finish the design two weeks before production began.

They had to postpone the “loop bumper” until the next year 1970.

The front trim package, and the argent painted front bumper filler was introduced to “improve styling” and make it look like a 1970 Fury; which is what the designers had intended.

I’m my opinion the front trim package is too fussy and looks like an after thought..which it was.

Last edited:
The “front trim” and “eye brow” moldings were a mid year styling update to help increase “lagging sales”.
Thanks!
That explains why my 69 Fury sales brochure which was printed fall of 68 and none of the cars including VIP showed the extra trim.

May i ask when shoulder seat belts and headrests came into production?

Thanks ,I remember reading something to that effect but wasn't sure. Mine has the headrests.

In 1969 all Fury models were to have the 1970 style “loop front bumper”, but the styling department changed the design so many times,...they ran out of time to get the front end completed. The styling department was so late with the design, they were told to finish the design two weeks before production began.

The front trim package, and the argent painted front bumper filler was introduced to “improve styling” and make it look like a 1970 Fury; which is what the designers had intended.

I’m my opinion the front trim package is too fussy and looks like an after thought..which it was.
Thank you for explaining why things were done back then. Interesting stuff for a fairly new Fury guy.

2998848 R fender extension molding 2998832 cast on part
2998849 L fender extension molding 2998833 cast on part

I've got loads of these NOS but no hood moldings

I picked these up years ago cleaning out old dealerships
I assume Chrysler sent these out to all the parts departments
and these were not ordered.

Have some for the 1969 Dodge also but not nearly as many (2998842 R 2998843 L)
Again these might have been sent to all of the parts departments......

The addition of the moldings could well have been part of Chrysler's "Spring Special" orientarion of those times. That was designed, via special option groupings and did include feature colors in the mix, with a special pricing of these things, to drive sales traffic into the dealerships after the colder winter months "naps".

This timing is probably appropriate as it would have probably taken that long to get the particular moldings and fender extensions (with attaching hardware) produced, packaged, and in the assembly plants and then into the Chrysler Parts Depots for distribution to the dealer network as "collision parts". Probably should be a dealer letter detailing the 1969 Fury Spring Special items, typically.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

spring special package. once in a while the moldings come up on ebay. i'm not sure about the front but the rear extensions are pot metal. it might be easier to get ones without the holes.

Back