70 convertible heating

Waggy

Reaction score
I am hoping to drive my convertible in the next week and my wife wants the heater to work! I am not sure if I am pressing the right things on the heater. The service manual shows a different unit. Mine has a set of buttons to push for Off, Heat, Hi Heat, Defrost and a slide for temperature but it does not show which side is hot and it does not seem to make a difference. There is a fresh air vent and I do not know what the setting has to be for heating the car. Can anyone help?.

There are plenty of guys on here with '70's that can correct me if I am wrong, so I'll take a stab at it. Push the "heat" button in, move the slide for the temp. all the way to the right, and have your fresh air vent/s pushed all of the way in. My guess is the "hi heat" recirculates the air inside the car, as opposed to drawing outside air into the heater.
I don't know if they use salt on the roads where you live, but there is NO WAY I would take an old car out with any remnants of salt on the roads.

I'm guessing something got disconnected in the past.
Anybody throw a Home Depot water valve on it under the hood?

I see your in my neck of the woods. You can E-mail me for help on your car if you need it, be happy to help if I can.

Can you post up some pics of your engine compartment...maybe you have something going on with the heater hoses and shut off valve?

I'm guessing something got disconnected in the past.
Anybody throw a Home Depot water valve on it under the hood?

fromwhat ive been readin re the heat in these cars would go with this guess...am a victim as well it seems

That truly was the beginning of the absolute most horrid decade in all automotive history.
And coming off what was arguably the most incredible decade that will never be seen again.
The bubble didn't burst. It blew up.

Those breathers were used in 1970 & 71 in California to control evaporative emissions. Chrysler was dirt cheap in their efforts to comply with the standards out here, and believe it or not, any gasoline evaporative fumes from the carburetor bowl were routed through the breather when the engine was shut off and into the engine crankcase. Similarly, any gasoline fumes from the fuel tank were not vented to the atomosphere, they too were routed to the crankcase through the breather! So if your oil smelled always like gasoline, that was the reason. I also heard stories that some cars even on the assembly line no less, had accumulated so much evaporated gasoline, that when the cars were started for the first time, a few blew the oil pans off the engines. Virtually all the other manufacturers used charcoal canisters to capture these evaporative emissions and then sucked them into the engine when it was running to purge the canister.

Chrysler had the worst emission control systems through the 70s and into the early eighties, such as the stupid lean burn that never worked well and the excessive exhaust gas recirculation and no spark advance. Even when catalysts were introduced in 1975, Chrysler engineers didn't know how to utilize them to lower emissions. It was sad and the engineers in charge at the time were only concerned with costs and considered California the land of "fruits and nuts" - who cares if the cars stall repeatedly and don't run right! In the late 70s their stupidity sent them into bankruptcy. Stan is right, the golden years ended really around 1973 and then everything went downhill from there for a long time.

I have a garden shut off valve on one of my heater hoses as well. What's the purpose, bad heater core? I've never turned the fan on so I have no idea if it works or not.

from what ive read is the heaters would still let heat in ect when off or closed type idea so folks put in the valves to shut down hot coolant from circulating thus no heat on senarios on hot days

Thanks I tried it and I have heat, but not alot and with little force. The drive down here was good, no wet roads in areas that would have ice.

Sounds like the valve that the cable is hooked up to is not opening or closing the valve all the way or isn't hooked to the valve at all. Is there tension or resistence when you slide the lever left to right or right to left?

Back