70 Fury manual drum brake master cylinder.

Triple Pickle

Reaction score
This master cylinder is toast. I just want a new one. What I’m seeing at the parts stores doesn’t show it coming with the rod and, this one doesn’t seem to be easily removed. What’s the solution?

04220B9E-7948-40FF-8B51-23DB455DA866.jpeg

Unbolt the retainer on the back face of the MC and pull the rod and piston out. It may come out a little hard, but it will come out.

The piston comes out with the rod, just put the piston in a vise and crush/break it.

There should be a rubber collar on the end of the rod that will need to be replaced. They sometimes come with the new MC, but often are lost in the shuffle. A new retainer (with good rubber) will be needed too... They used to come with the new MC, but I wouldn't count on it.

Or just yank hard on the rod and leave the retainer on it.... It will come out that way too.

Or just yank hard on the rod and leave the retainer on it.... It will come out that way too.
Ok. Thanks. It didn’t act like it was too easy to get out. I didn’t get too forceful with it.

Ok. Thanks. It didn’t act like it was too easy to get out. I didn’t get too forceful with it.
I've put the MC in a vise, put a big screwdriver or socket extension through the eye and pulled it out that way.... Of course, don't hit yourself in the nose when it breaks free....

Leave the retainer bolted on so the piston stays inside. It a bar through the hole and pry the rod out. You will be tearing the rubber retainer ring so you have to pull hard on the prybar to get this done.

the 0riginal double hump master cylinder used on all drum brake mopars from 67 to 70 was never duplicated .my copy was released in 2013 is available is all over internet. The difference is I test all before leaving. All the current distributors can’t do that, or capable
Yellow zinc lid
It had never been copied, the lid stamping was to expensive. Mike Ross did the lid around 2010
The special rubber rod keeper that fits the rod grove is only available thru me.I currently know of no other source.they are special and fit piston grove for secure lock. Most buy 2 or more to have, at Carlisle they are 2 for 6.00
Videos of all this, rod removal, and such is on interweb.
We clamp rod in vice , with master pointing to floor, tap on flange with rubber mallet. Drop in WD40 down rod to lube rubber keeper this will make 50%easier. I’ve done at least 1000.00
Uncle Ron has done at least 5000 since 1971 retired 2011
NO MOPAR MASTER EVER HAD A FLAT LID, OR EVER SAID MADE IN USA.

the 0riginal double hump master cylinder used on all drum brake mopars from 67 to 70 was never duplicated .my copy was released in 2013 is available is all over internet. The difference is I test all before leaving. All the current distributors can’t do that, or capable
Yellow zinc lid
It had never been copied, the lid stamping was to expensive. Mike Ross did the lid around 2010
The special rubber rod keeper that fits the rod grove is only available thru me.I currently know of no other source.they are special and fit piston grove for secure lock. Most buy 2 or more to have, at Carlisle they are 2 for 6.00
Videos of all this, rod removal, and such is on interweb.
We clamp rod in vice , with master pointing to floor, tap on flange with rubber mallet. Drop in WD40 down rod to lube rubber keeper this will make 50%easier. I’ve done at least 1000.00
Uncle Ron has done at least 5000 since 1971 retired 2011
NO MOPAR MASTER EVER HAD A FLAT LID, OR EVER SAID MADE IN USA.
Have you tried switching to decaf?

The pushrod retainer comes with a new master cylinder.
if its missing buy it here, they work great along with his other drivetrain parts.
great parts, no attitude.

Search results

Last edited:
Back