70 Sport Fury Rear Seat Insert

MONC440

Reaction score
Ok I did a search and couldn't find a good close up of the insert.

Now that I got my seats done I want to resort my rear seat insert.

Anyone have a good close up of this? Is the outside suposed to be chrome or gray? The backside of it is plastic chrome and I can't tell on mine if it was chrome on the outside that has worn off or it was painted.

Thanks

rear seat insert.jpeg

All things considered, not having one to look at, I'm suspecting it was chromed plastic rather than painted gray. The soft trim "chrome" would have been "silver mylar" tape, I suspect.

A few years ago, I found a YouTube and website for "Flash Chrome" to refinish things like interior chromed plastic trim. At the time, it appeared to be a more-involved process than a DIY situation, although that is what it was designed for, IIRC.

Now, the OEM finish would have been more of a satiny chrome, rather than a very shiny "hard" chrome look. Enough shine to look flashy, but not too flashy, either. After the chrome goes on, the other colors follow.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Tacking on to what CBODY67 said above, you can get a roll of "chrome" tape from the hardware store near the HVAC ducting supplies. I used it on my armrest bases. While purists will scoff, everyone else thinks it looks great and didn't even notice it wasn't actual chrome. It does give the "satin chrome" finish mentioned above.

Give it a try! $6.99 a roll!

Had mine redone cost 250 here in Switzerland so i think in the states way less
Chrome coatet the plastic and painted the Black out
Regards from Switzerland
20211206_183343.jpg
20220304_151336.jpg

Tacking on to what CBODY67 said above, you can get a roll of "chrome" tape from the hardware store near the HVAC ducting supplies. I used it on my armrest bases. While purists will scoff, everyone else thinks it looks great and didn't even notice it wasn't actual chrome. It does give the "satin chrome" finish mentioned above.

Give it a try! $6.99 a roll!
I have a roll of that in my shop now. LOL

I never thought of using that on plastic chrome trim before. I have used it on our house and HVAC stuff. Thanks for the idea.

I have had good luck with chrome paint on small stuff. I just wanted to know if it was supposed to be chrome or something else.

Here is vinyl tape/wrap on my sedan insert I converted to convertible insert. The inside corners have a few wrinkles which with better quality/flexible vinyl wouldn't be there. They dont even make the vinyl I used anymore. I was concerned it would not stick under heat of the sun so I used some generic contact adhesive first. Been working fine since 2013!

1678116343932.png

Went you dont have your convertible rear seat speaker grill

1678116238004.png

Here is vinyl tape/wrap on my sedan insert I converted to convertible insert. The inside corners have a few wrinkles which with better quality/flexible vinyl wouldn't be there. They dont even make the vinyl I used anymore. I was concerned it would not stick under heat of the sun so I used some generic contact adhesive first. Been working fine since 2013!

View attachment 585564

Went you dont have your convertible rear seat speaker grill

View attachment 585563
Thanks. Looks good. I might go that route.

Ok I did a search and couldn't find a good close up of the insert.

Now that I got my seats done I want to resort my rear seat insert.

Anyone have a good close up of this? Is the outside suposed to be chrome or gray? The backside of it is plastic chrome and I can't tell on mine if it was chrome on the outside that has worn off or it was painted.

Thanks

View attachment 585455
I have either an NOS or VGC seat insert matching the above image but have to continue to look for it. It might have been mis-boxed but is in a factory box and marked appropriately w/padded paper wrapping around it but will either way continue to search for it. The chrome is light-years ahead of the above but has some light scuffing to it. (per your question the perimeter band is chrome) Either way it is not the right one for my 71GT.

Back