70bigblockdodge- and anyone else, cam opinion please

The ......POS....... was a joke. I was pleased with the power the engine made, as it made 500 lb-ft from 3500-6000 rpm. Yep, we put in a 278/280 @ .050 solid roller that Racer Brown made for my Dad back in 1968 and it made 658 HP @ 6,600 RPM.

The better heads will allow the horsepower to hang on as you wind the engine and there is a lot more to RPM of peak horsepower than port volume.

I believe that the cam and cfm of the port has a greater effect on rpm of peak horsepower than the volume of the port at the airflows that you have. I think that even a well done intake port, on a B-1 Original head, doesn't have too much volume to have a deleterious effect on port velocity and engine performance.

I really still believe your rpm of peak horsepower will be at 6,000 rpm or less (we've built too many 493-505 inch engines with street solid rollers [256-260 degrees @ .050"] that make 650tq/650hp at 5.800-6,000 rpm), and, that it will keep over 600 HP for a long ways after 6,000 rpm.

LOL ok makes sense, yea I was thinkin , "how much power did he expect?"

I hope your right, I'm not too hung up on the HP numbers, I would be really happy though if it held 600Lbs TQ for a while. I really don't want to spin much past 6k,if at all.
I expect to have the motor together in the next 8 weeks. It will be interesting to see how it runs!

Thanks again for your time and knowledge!

I'm building a 431 stroker for my 65 Sport. I called Jim Dowell at Racer Brown and he ground me a real nice cam. He definitely knows Mopar and will want to know everything about your set up.. #410 866-7660. Call him after 3 pm EST sometimes later. You simply won't deal with a better guy.

I'm building a 431 stroker for my 65 Sport. I called Jim Dowell at Racer Brown and he ground me a real nice cam. He definitely knows Mopar and will want to know everything about your set up.. #410 866-7660. Call him after 3 pm EST sometimes later. You simply won't deal with a better guy.

Let us know how that this one goes I have a 2 bbl 383 that is begging for a RB crank.

Will do. On a tight budget have a 65 HP block and a buddy had a clean 440 forged crank. Seemed like a sensible route to go for a big car. Diamond makes a nice piston...That's the big coin to make it happen. Good info here.. www. arengineering.com The Jackson Garage.

Will do. On a tight budget have a 65 HP block and a buddy had a clean 440 forged crank. Seemed like a sensible route to go for a big car. Diamond makes a nice piston...That's the big coin to make it happen. Good info here.. www. arengineering.com The Jackson Garage.

Yeah Diamond is really proud of their pistons and I just wanted to make a street and strip engine, I found a set of forged 454 Chevy pistons TRWs I think but they need some mods which may offset the lower $ cost. I will see if I can locate the paper I wrote the stuff down on.

Proud! Yes...Excellent choice of words. They quoted me $1,000.00 for a FT piston and Molly ring pack. But I have a nice forged crank that a buddy let me have and I'm going to use my 383 rods. A budget stroker if there ever was one. I'd be interested in seeing your BBC piston info.. I know some of the B strokers have used Chevy rods with some grinding.

One thing I am on the fence on is whether to use iron 906 \452 heads or just get the stealth heads. This is purely a street mill so I don't need huge flow up top. Thoughts?

The main thing was if I remember I wanted to see if I could get the piston pin hole redrilled offset to also help move the compression height more in the right direction and just reuse the 1.094 mopar pins.

The main thing was if I remember I wanted to see if I could get the piston pin hole redrilled offset to also help move the compression height more in the right direction and just reuse the 1.094 mopar pins.

I see I see... Will follow.

Proud! Yes...Excellent choice of words. They quoted me $1,000.00 for a FT piston and Molly ring pack. But I have a nice forged crank that a buddy let me have and I'm going to use my 383 rods. A budget stroker if there ever was one. I'd be interested in seeing your BBC piston info.. I know some of the B strokers have used Chevy rods with some grinding.

One thing I am on the fence on is whether to use iron 906 \452 heads or just get the stealth heads. This is purely a street mill so I don't need huge flow up top. Thoughts?

Check out 440 Source. Their 383 piston kits are $600. You might want to look into their rods also. By the time you pay to resize your old rods and buy new ARP bolts you've put a pretty good dent in the price of new H-beams. And while I'm spending your money, a 4.25" crank in a 383 is 496....

The Stealth head is a good casting but from discussions on Moparts, OOTB the Sidewinder will be head and shoulders above it flow wise. I think it is at least 40 cfm better OOTB.

In any case again by the time you pay to properly rebuild a set of 452's, you just paid for all or a large part of the 2 aluminum heads mentioned. If you are adding hardened seats to a set of 906's on top of the rest well it's even more of a no brainer. The extra power from the increased flow is pretty much free at this point.

Kevin

Check out 440 Source. Their 383 piston kits are $600. You might want to look into their rods also. By the time you pay to resize your old rods and buy new ARP bolts you've put a pretty good dent in the price of new H-beams. And while I'm spending your money, a 4.25" crank in a 383 is 496....

The Stealth head is a good casting but from discussions on Moparts, OOTB the Sidewinder will be head and shoulders above it flow wise. I think it is at least 40 cfm better OOTB.

In any case again by the time you pay to properly rebuild a set of 452's, you just paid for all or a large part of the 2 aluminum heads mentioned. If you are adding hardened seats to a set of 906's on top of the rest well it's even more of a no brainer. The extra power from the increased flow is pretty much free at this point.

Kevin

Thanks that's really great advice, I am really trying to put together a decent street mill and stay in a targeted budget. The 3.75 crank I have now is a really clean low mileage piece so I def want to use it in the build. The 440 source piston\rod route is a more economical for sure.. Taking my junk to the builder in October so he set me straight and put something together.

Back