71 Sport Suburban EV2 - My latest purchase..

The tailgate upper rear window seals are almost certainly rotten. A few folks on the site have tried to come up with replacements, but they are virtually impossible to find. I worked with Steele Rubber Products in Denver, NC and cobbled together a “close enough” replacement, but they told me (and I believe them) the original was a “tooled part” and would be prohibitively expensive to try to “create” a perfectly dimensionally correct replacement . Still like to see some kind of replacement for it sourced, if enough of us could come together and make it worth some rubber suppliers time…and money.
Just an FYI as you contemplate a restoration. I have been down a similar path with a 73 Monaco….and will be happy to assist you if I can, but if you know Manny, you are already doing very well.

I just wonder if it would be worth starting a thread dedicated solely to the rear window outer seal! We’ll get a movement started!

I just wonder if it would be worth starting a thread dedicated solely to the rear window outer seal! We’ll get a movement started!

I'm guessing that you were working with Steele for your wagon? Can't remember if yours is a '72 or '73, but they are basically the same.

The tailgate window weather seals are completely different on the '69-'71 cars than they are for the '72-'73. On the '69-'71 you have to roll down the window before you can open the door. The window goes up into a slot formed by inner and outer flocked seals that are attached to metal frames. The '72-'73 is similar to a hardtop frameless door glass where the glass just pushes against a molded rubber seal.

There would need to be two different plans of attack to cover the full spectrum of fuselage wagons.

Regardless, you can count me in on the effort if there's anything I can offer.

Jeff

I'm guessing that you were working with Steele for your wagon? Can't remember if yours is a '72 or '73, but they are basically the same.

The tailgate window weather seals are completely different on the '69-'71 cars than they are for the '72-'73. On the '69-'71 you have to roll down the window before you can open the door. The window goes up into a slot formed by inner and outer flocked seals that are attached to metal frames. The '72-'73 is similar to a hardtop frameless door glass where the glass just pushes against a molded rubber seal.

There would need to be two different plans of attack to cover the full spectrum of fuselage wagons.

Regardless, you can count me in on the effort if there's anything I can offer.

Jeff

Didn’t know that, or forgot if I did! Yes glass on my 73 just “sits” outside the rubber seal. The metal lip around the perimeter at top helps repel/channel water away. But it’s not perfect with what I have. Not totally air tight. Fortunately my car stays covered, doesn’t see the rain, and if I wash it I am conscientious not to put gobs of water near any potential gaps. What I have from Steele is “ok”, but ironically if there was a mirror image profile extrusion of what I have, it would likely work better. The application requires a special tooled shape, more than just a straight extrusion, unfortunately. There are aspects of this car where they really did splurge a bit on the engineering/execution. They apparently wanted it to be ‘top dog’. I’d like to find someone who could do this. I truly think a 3D printed version would be possible.

On my '72 Fury I was able to cobble together an easy but not perfect substitute using door weatherstrip for a 1965 GM pickup truck. It remained weather tight for at least five years of use outdoors, up to the point where the car was retired. The tailgate window wasn't leaking, but every other spot where water could come in was, so the time had come to get it inside, out of the elements.

Jeff

That sounds like a plan!

I was fortunate to get NOS of the inner rear window seal(s) on the 73. Unobtanium. Two pieces, RH and LH. Two different part numbers. Mirror image. A person on this site helped me get them.

The one piece outer seal is a NoGo.

View attachment 503734

I still have the original dealer tag.
87195176-7D53-4C43-A095-8DE49EB20C05.jpeg

Back