For Sale 72 CHRYSLER IMPERIAL LEBARON NM/price reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ready to move on to another one. I asked alot of questions and requested specific video for my eyes and ears. I think that was too much for him. He lost a grand or so by not providing an exterior walk around video. And my request to use PayPal.

I am ready to move on to another one. I asked alot of questions and requested specific video for my eyes and ears. I think that was too much for him. He lost a grand or so by not providing an exterior walk around video. And my request to use PayPal.

Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet. It seems he didn't want you to see or hear something...

Sounds like you may have dodged a bullet. It seems he didn't want you to see or hear something...
To be accurate I got engine running, hidden light check, interior, dash, exhaust video. Nine short 15 sec videos. But, I could not convince him to pull it out of garage in the open and walk around her. I will never know why.

To be accurate I got engine running, hidden light check, interior, dash, exhaust video. Nine short 15 sec videos. But, I could not convince him to pull it out of garage in the open and walk around her. I will never know why.
You already know the reason, and it's a blessing in disguise. Sellers only hide for one reason

Devils advocate. From his perspective, you might have just been someone that was playing the question game, which is common when selling a car. You said you had a ton of emails and he sent you a lot of video already. I can relate to dealing with a buyer who might actually buy, but is asking so many questions that I suspect they'll be a pita once post transaction.

Devils advocate. From his perspective, you might have just been someone that was playing the question game, which is common when selling a car. You said you had a ton of emails and he sent you a lot of video already. I can relate to dealing with a buyer who might actually buy, but is asking so many questions that I suspect they'll be a pita once post transaction.
I kinda see your point. But, I offered to give references to all those previous Imperial sellers to let him know I was legit. Even sent him old videos from some of the sellers I bought from. I'm pretty easy to work with.

Last edited:
Got to be honest with you. I offered him more as long as I got an exterior walk around video which takes a minute to shoot. He went from 9800 to 7000 overnite without the video I was asking for...for about two weeks of communication and video requests. Something is fishy.
It was not to be.

Good on you Mike. Doesn't make sense. Consider yourself smart AND lucky. There must've been something going on with that car.

but is asking so many questions that I suspect they'll be a pita once post transaction.

That's not Mike for sure!

How can anyone make a purchase without asking a lot of questions? Especially a long distance one. If he balked at answering anything that's a flare being set off.

I hope the guy in Poland is happy with it and it works out for him.

I kinda see you're point. But, I offered to give references to all those previous Imperial sellers to let him know I was legit. Even sent him old videos from some of the sellers I bought from. I'm pretty easy to work with.
Yes, I even talked with him, told him I would defer to Mike, but if Mike did not pull the trigger I would at his asking price. He left $2,000 on the table for a quick sale. Not to be.

I want to correct something maybe I didn't convey earlier. I never made an aggressive offer on this beauty. I lost it because I didn't make my decision fast. I was patient with the very pleasant seller getting photos, history, video, etc... I hinted to the seller what I think it was worth without all the details that I am accustomed to getting to make a sound offer. Each video made me think it was worth more than I realized from photos. I don't drive or fly in to other states to inspect Imperials I'm serious about, so I rely on the digital world which I am familiar and comfortable with. I am not fatigued by email communication. It's easy and convenient. And the wifey doesn't get suspicious.:lol:
I would retract the part that "something might be fishy" that I wrote earlier. I think I was just frustrated with not getting my last video to seal the deal and the seller was not into my long distance methods. My method of gathering info about an Imperial I want is basically: email, photos, history, video, phone call, PayPal, shipper pickup, mail me title. Done. I don't bother you later if the Imperial isn't perfect. Imperials are high maintenance. I get it.

How can anyone make a purchase without asking a lot of questions? Especially a long distance one. If he balked at answering anything that's a flare being set off.

He said he had 60 emails with the seller and other video's. Anyone that has been a seller has been subject to the "buyer" that does this, but will never pull the trigger. I can understand the seller just moving on from it because someone offered cash quickly. I often make offers on cars that take into account I'm not seeing the entire picture, but will be ok with that due to my reduced offer. Happened on this board with the 69 monaco wagon. I wasn't going to barrage the guy with a lot of questions, I said this is what I'll pay and it will be gone in 48 hours. After 3 weeks he came back and agreed because I was a no BS offer. Doesn't make my way right and someone else's wrong. If the money wasn't that big of a deal to the guy, I can see him getting annoyed with more questions and more video's on a car in this price range.

I think this was a case of two good people with good intentions on a different pace or wavelength...nice Imperial in the middle. An eager third party benefited and got it for a very fair price. Life goes on.

Last edited:
Sometimes sellers are not willing to go the extra mile because there are so many time wasters that they have dealt with in the past.
I hate selling anything for the same reason and understand the reluctance sometimes shown. The bloke I bought the '73 from was not willing to do any of the things that the above mentioned seller did for Doc, I took a chance and it paid off, knowing full well that honesty is not always part of the equation. You have to go with your gut feeling sometimes.
Other Imperials will present themselves, perhaps in preferred colours too, maybe even the elusive triple black '73...:rolleyes:

Sometimes sellers are not willing to go the extra mile because there are so many time wasters that they have dealt with in the past.
I hate selling anything for the same reason and understand the reluctance sometimes shown. The bloke I bought the '73 from was not willing to do any of the things that the above mentioned seller did for Doc, I took a chance and it paid off, knowing full well that honesty is not always part of the equation. You have to go with your gut feeling sometimes.
Other Imperials will present themselves, perhaps in preferred colours too, maybe even the elusive triple black '73...:rolleyes:
I agree. I let a classic car dealership sell my 57, 59 and 69 Chevrolets for a small fee last two years to make room for the herd. Let them have the headaches.:lol:

TB '73 would be nice to look at but I wouldn't want one. I've been down that black car road before. My Esprit was black loved it... but after 14-15 years it got old. Between the dust and swirl marks I had enough. So off to the paint shop it went. Like driving a brand new car! And it never got as many compliments as it does now.
Just my .02

TB '73 would be nice to look at but I wouldn't want one. I've been down that black car road before. My Esprit was black loved it... but after 14-15 years it got old. Between the dust and swirl marks I had enough. So off to the paint shop it went. Like driving a brand new car! And it never got as many compliments as it does now.
Just my .02
I've owned a black car before and know what a pain they are to keep clean, but for a large car like an Imperial, black is hard to beat. I guess the rarity factor comes into play as well. Silver Frost is really nice too, like my old '73.
20200118_204133.jpeg

An '89 Esprit in black or any color is probably even more rare than a black '73 Imperial. Just sayin'....

Lotus only made 735 Esprits in '89 Worldwide. Probably only a handful in black ever came here. Even so... I had to change it. LOL

I couldn't take it anymore. :BangHead:

Lotus?, I wouldn't know, not into sports cars, with the exception of the Mercedes Gullwing made in the 1950s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back