72 sport suburban woodgrain

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I was digging through the forum trying to figure out where I can source new woodgrain vinyl for the sides of my 72 fury wagon.
I’ve discovered that the different vehicle manufacturers had their own “flavour “ of wood grain so a dodge would be different than say Ford woodgrain.
For you guys and gals that have redone the woodgrain on your wagon, where did you source from, and also do you have any good tips on removing what’s left of the rough factory decals, and tips on installing the new stuff?

The best advice I could provide you is to read through this thread by @MonacoBlue, as he has been through it all including dealing with the woodgrain in a very well thought out approach:

73 Monaco wagon

It is a lengthy read but well worth your time to go through it. The owner is also very easy to talk with and very willing to share his experiences - a super guy.

There are few wagons that look as good as a 72 Sport Suburban too - great score!

It is hard to beat the 72/73 Dodge C body wagons in terms of looks as well.

Last edited:
I was digging through the forum trying to figure out where I can source new woodgrain vinyl for the sides of my 72 fury wagon.
I’ve discovered that the different vehicle manufacturers had their own “flavour “ of wood grain so a dodge would be different than say Ford woodgrain.
For you guys and gals that have redone the woodgrain on your wagon, where did you source from, and also do you have any good tips on removing what’s left of the rough factory decals, and tips on installing the new stuff?
Hi - if you look over the thread that saforwardlook provided, it’ll show steps I took. I know a shop here in the US (Charlotte, North Carolina) that should be able to make - and adjust/modify for you as you wish - the woodgrain. Atlantic Wraps. Let me know if you need any recommendations. I understand the desire to be picky and get it “correct”.

Thanks for the offer Monacoblue. I’m off on a 1 month holiday in the US but when I get back I’ll contact you and go from there.

Sorry, it’s Friday pm and I am slow on the uptake! My shop has the pattern for a Monaco, but not a Sport Suburban. If you are in Canada I expect you could go to any decent wrap shop in Toronto or Vancouver or Calgary….and get it done, if they do “difficult” work. There is a wrap shop in Florida that makes vinyl for old Grand Wagoneers and 70’s Ford wagons, they may be able to help. Avery Dennison is a vinyl supplier company, as is 3M I believe. You can get some faux wood grains “off the shelf”. If anything, I am thinking the Sport Sub will be much easier, you might even be able to do it yourself. The Monaco has text with cursive font, a bit more complexity. Pain in the neck to reproduce, frankly.

Last edited:
Back