727 TF 3-2 PArt Throttle Kickdown

pmschmitt

Reaction score
I have a 69 727 w/out the partial throttle kick down (PTK) I have read some threads about the performance enhancement and the ease of this upgrade, but I have not found any step by step descriptions or pictures of this process.

Also which is better and or easier to get the job done. The bolt on upgrade or finding a post 71 valve body.

Attached is a bolt on available I found online

Torqueflite 727, 904 PART-THROTTLE 3-2 Kickdown Parts KIT: 1967+ Valve Bodies

I did this on my 68 Newport. It was very easy. The part throttle kickdown is awesome, I don't have to floor it to shift down. I would highly recommend doing it. I don't remember who I bought it from.

I'd use the existing valve body and do the mod. It's in the car and working... That's a big plus. Used is used... and you may get a good one... or you may get a bad one.

I may have something on this upgrade stashed in my library. I'll take a look later. I don't think it's that difficult though.

I haven't bought that specific kit from the vendor, but I have bought other parts and have been happy.

Thanks for the input. If you have a particular brand or part number that worked well I would love to know it.

I got the VB from a worn out -73 727 in my -66 727 and never gonna put the VB from my -66 back.
I'd cleaned it very carefully inside and it's works perfect, have you ever hear of a worn out VB? go for a used one if you can find one or do the mod if you like.
PTKD is awsome!!!

Ok I got the parts in and am starting the install. Surprisingly I have not seen anyone document this process so here we go.

Removed pan and fluid and filter. I have a question though my new filter looks like it is missing a hole is this correct?
image.jpeg

The new one appears to be missing a hole
image.jpeg

Is this the correct filter?

Also trying to remove valve body to upgrade to PTK. I did not see anywhere in FSM on how to remove the damn Kickdown lever from the tranny? Anybody know how to do this without screwing something up.
image.jpeg

Kick down and selector both remove the same way loosen bolt, pry it off shaft evenly. You put a new selector shaft seal in the case before reinstallation
Yes your filter is fine two holes are for early trans with rear pump.

Just got the tranny slapped back together with the kick down upgrade... WOW! What a difference in drivability. This is a must have upgrade to anyone without it! If you put in the sweat equity and do the swap yourself it costs about $100-125 bucks in parts and ATF ( depending on your brand) ...oh yeah and kitty litter to clean up the spills.

Just searching for this mod, is this an easy one with the box still in the car and with out dropping the valve body itself? Any pointers and advice welcome :thumbsup:

You will have to pull the valve body I’m 99% certain. You have to remove the remove the triangular plate on the left side to install the A&A kit. The accumulator is under that big round area so that is blocking the last screw.

024A0E13-19D8-49B9-91EE-3FBD167794F2.gif

Back