727 to 904

Reaction score
Hi all,
Can i replace the 727 in the 71 fury with a 904 from a 72 coronet with a 318 without any problems? I just wondered if it would work till I got the 727 rebuilt. Thank you. Charlie

LA318 in the Fury now? Might need to check the rear tailshaft housing lengths. Plus how the kickdown linkage might be different?

If the 727 in your '71 is behind a big block, the answer is no, the bolt pattern is different.

Dave

Converter & flexplate different
Driveshaft length
yoke size
Trans lines slightly different
then the linkage differences.

unless you have buckets of hardware or a junkyard handy then it gonna be a pain in the *** to swap, and not worth if for a Temporary deal.

Your proposed method to do it on the cheap won't work easily because of what 413 stated above.

The fury has a 360 engine. I thought I heard something is different between the 360 and 318 engine.
The 360 has a different flex plate and convertor as the 360 is externally balanced while the 318 is internally balanced. Would shake itself to pieces with the 318 flex and convertor.

Dave

The fury has a 360 engine. I thought I heard something is different between the 360 and 318 engine.
The 360 is external balanced. That requires either a weighted convertor or a special ($) flex plate.

All in all... the 904 idea just isn't a good one. You'd be screwing around getting it all running in the same time it takes to get that trans fixed.

Yep, just spend your time to earn more money to put with the money you didn’t spend on the 904 conversion, to fix the 727.

Are you mechanically inclined? If so, the transmission can be torn down and diagnosed in 1-1.5 hours. It takes 4-6 hours to rebuild. I'm sure others could do it quicker but, that's how long it took me, 1st time in 2013. Craig

youll be sorry. 904 is a downgrade. Rebuild the 727! Ive swapped 727s for 904s before but never the other way around.

Would be a lot of changing stuff just to save a few days of rebuild time. Even IF the labor was free.

Back