For Sale 75 Imperial 2dr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry but 73' is the ultimate Imperial! :poke: Just ask anyone who has one or has owned one. Next are the 67's. Then the forwards. 59's and 60's. I think ma mopar screwed up when they dropped the Imperial line and renamed it New Yorker
Imho.
You know I agree with you on that one...I'd add the 72 in there too.

I've got a 73 and am delighted with it. She'll be a great cruiser when eventually down here in New Zealand.

As for the name change in 1976, the sales figures say it all.

1975 Imperial Sedan 6102
1975 Imperial Coupe 1087
1975 Imperial Crown Coupe 1641
Total 1975 production 8830

1976 New Yorker Brougham Sedan 23.984
1976 New Yorker Brougham Coupe 9748

Total 1976 production 33.732 an increase of 24.952 cars in 12 months with basically the same vehicle (some Imperial content now optional) and a new name.

Chrysler would have been delighted. I read somewhere that a fellow said he wouldn't buy an Imperial but would buy a New Yorker. Many others must have felt likewise.

All data from the 1975 and 1976 production figures on the onlineimperialclub website.

You know I agree with you on that one...I'd add the 72 in there too.
Of course, why else would you have both!

I've got a 73 and am delighted with it. She'll be a great cruiser when eventually down here in New Zealand.

1975 Imperial Sedan 6102
1975 Imperial Coupe 1087

Total 1976 production 33.732 an increase of 24.952 cars in 12 months with basically the same vehicle (some Imperial content now optional) and a new name.

Chrysler would have been delighted. I read somewhere that a fellow said he wouldn't buy an Imperial but would buy a New Yorker. Many others must have felt likewise.

All data from the 1975 and 1976 production figures on the onlineimperialclub website.
It's all in a name and of course sticker price. Your post just backs up what I meant. Chrysler blew it by playing the name game from early on.

^^^Cantflip: So your saying the value of the '75 Imperials should be less because of the brakes?
In my observation, yes... an informed purchaser (IDK how rare those are), would be more likely to seek out an nice 76-77 New Yorker.

Edit: the rear discs make them worth more to a few of us... but most of the uninformed will hate the car as soon as they find out how easy parts are to come by.

1974- Unique grilles and small rear window(also used on Salon package in 78)... also the last of the slightly bigger, early T&T steering wheel.
1974-75- Unique rear side marker light bases, using the 1971 lens. Unique and long obsolete rear disc brakes (standard feature, no drums used to my knowledge)... I know of only 2 sets of rotors widely advertised on the internet over the last few years... both are used and expensive. I have a box of cores for the parking brake shoes... I might look into having them relined someday. The dash pad is also unique, but interchangeable with the other Formal dash pads.

1975-77 had the same or similar trim overall... including grilles. AFAIK the options available on NYB's were pretty close to the same as the Imperial standard/option list.

1976-77 Other than the lean burn debate, these cars had the majority of the best parts or at least the easiest to find parts.

1978- New grille, smooth bumper fillers and taillight lenses with a center rib are the only exterior cues I can think of. These cars had a radical redesign of components (to reduce weight?). There are a few well known 78 only issues, but the number of parts that are slightly different is amazing (for a one year car). The wiper bushing failure is reason enough for some folks to avoid the cars. They are still much easier than rear discs to devise a work around... rear discs only real work around is elimination and downgrade to a rear drum setup :wtf:.

All Formals have good brakes, when working... so not the end of the world. :BangHead:

Last edited:
Sorry but 73' is the ultimate Imperial! :poke: Just ask anyone who has one or has owned one. Next are the 67's. Then the forwards. 59's and 60's. I think ma mopar screwed up when they dropped the Imperial line and renamed it New Yorker
Imho.
No pissing match over who has the better car here, I like the earlier cars a bunch too... but they just don't strike the same nerve as a Formal (for me).

1975 Imperial Sedan 6102
1975 Imperial Coupe 1087

That sounds a lot like a chevy guy hating on a caddy... my guess is that winding down the base price helped a bunch too... even if most wound up in the same price range after options.

No pissing match here Jeff:thumbsup:. I love my 78' Imperial. Just saying the 73' I had rode better, to me any way. And was a more distinctive design.
I just wish they'd have kept the Imperial brand separate.
It is what it is. Love em all!
Yours is drop dead gorgeous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back