75 New Yorker Water Pump Pulley Issues

jaku

Reaction score
I have a 440 out of a 1975 New Yorker and during a big sweep clean out I seem to have recycled the water pump pulley. I have been reading and searching (and cursing) and think today I finally may have an answer of sorts.

Everything I read said that a 440 with air has a 2 groove water pump pulley so I found one and bought it, but the diameter was too large (barely). It would have lined up with the middle two grooves of the 4 groove crank pulley.

Today I was at a MOPAR car show and there was a 1978 New yorker there with the same engine setup. (Sidenote it was the documented last one off the production line in Windsor Ontario). It's water pump pulley was a single groove and very shallow so that it lined up with the outermost groove away from the block.

I have searched 440 source, Bouchillon, mancini, mymopar and every generic parts site I could think of and cannot find this part and or part number.

First two Photos are from the 1978 I saw today and last one is mine with the missing pulley

File_002.jpeg

File_003.jpeg

File_006.jpeg

If the 2-groove pulley you have has one groove which lines up with what you need, then use that groove only, leaving the other one blank. Unless the extra one might interfere with what's already there.

Chrysler parts book free downloads at www.mymopar.com . FSMs, too, which might also have graphics of belt routings. FWIW

If the 2-groove pulley you have has one groove which lines up with what you need, then use that groove only, leaving the other one blank. Unless the extra one might interfere with what's already there.

Chrysler parts book free downloads at www.mymopar.com . FSMs, too, which might also have graphics of belt routings. FWIW

thanks but I have already covered those. The parts numbers only go up to 74 and that is the pulley I purchased which is incorrect. Any as stated in the OP, it is slighty too large a diametre so hits the crank pulley and will not work.

I think the 2-groove pulley you have was used in trucks or RV's. We have one on a 440 that came from an RV, but the whole accessory set-up is completely different from what would be in a car.

Pulley sets were specific as to what they went on. "Matched sets", that is. To maintain the correct rotational speed of the item they were attached to, relative to the crankshaft pulley.

I found a guy selling a complete motor with the same pulleys as mine. just waiting to here from him for some measurements. :)

Back