77 T&C Restoo

i started a pseudo resto thread on the exterior and interior forums before realizing there is a restoration form too.

Since I was so excited to get some picks back from the painter I felt compelled to post them. He has promised it is all ready when I get back next Friday.

In keeping with any good resto, what started a quick driver quality pint became a full strip with jams and interior surfaces etc..

Here are the interior vinyl pieces, painted and then carefully wrapped and packed back in the car.
View attachment 116879 View attachment 116880 View attachment 116881

Did you use vinyl spray rattle paint cans?

Your part number is for the metal ones.
s-l300.jpg

They switched a year or two later to nylon.
I was referring only to the nylon ones.
Arizona Parts has the metal ones in stock.

Also, I believe Cee body Bob is parting out a Formal.

74 Only...they changed to plastic in 75.

I'm not thrilled with the metal on metal contact.
I'll go with plastic ones.
On 74s the tracks are ribbed too. They work better that the sliders in my opinion. Cantflip, can you get a pic and show the full assembly with the ribbed tracks?

I greased the tracks on my 78 NYB and can close the hood with one finger.

On 74s the tracks are ribbed too. They work better that the sliders in my opinion. Cantflip, can you get a pic and show the full assembly with the ribbed tracks?

Theyre interchangeable?

Did you use vinyl spray rattle paint cans?
Both. I got a quart of vinyl paint for the painter to shoot the removable parts and I got a spray can for some fixed parts I am not removing. I did the same with the lacquer for the metal. A bit of both. The paint store convinced me to try a preval sprayer rather than a rattle can so I bought one of those and I will try one of the quarts through that.

Nobody repops the Chrysler woodgrain that I could find. Best option is to find the closest match to a sample of your old woodgrain (I hope you kept a piece).

SO glad you''re graining it!

Problem is I have too many samples. The fender skirts off my parts car are really 'gray'. The original grain on my car was reddish. The grain on the roof rack is pale. I am thinking the best bet is to match it to the dashboard woodgrain. I have pretty much ruled out the parts car sample.

The other issue I am aware of is the pattern repeat. Right now they can't tell me the pattern length. On the original vinyl it is about 5'.

Theyre interchangeable?
Yes.
My first '76 needed a replacement slider. I found a set of rollers and it was a simple swap.
I later found a set of sliders and went back to them.
The rollers are now burried somewhere. Gawd knows where. Will be part of my estate I imagine.

Problem is I have too many samples. The fender skirts off my parts car are really 'gray'. The original grain on my car was reddish. The grain on the roof rack is pale. I am thinking the best bet is to match it to the dashboard woodgrain. I have pretty much ruled out the parts car sample.

The other issue I am aware of is the pattern repeat. Right now they can't tell me the pattern length. On the original vinyl it is about 5'.

The gray, faded woodgrain can be somewhat resurrected using some ATF on a rag. Then you will have the grain color or really close to it...Mopar grain got dark as it aged and then faded to white. Don't use the instrument panel or roof rack, they were different grains (lighter). I wound up painting my woodgrain on. I used "mahogany" stain as it was the closest match I found to the brochure pics:

6307737208_13299e5a3c_b.jpg

You painted it on? Sounds hard. Did a decorative painter do it? I have a full large format print shop at my disposal so I know they will get me the di noc I need just a matter of choosing between shades and making sure the pattern repeat is large enough to no look obvious on the car.

P3100009.JPG
P3100010.JPG
P3100004.JPG

Sorry, I took a bunch of pics, but between the poor lighting and flash... these are the best I could do. Mr C is right, the track has a knurled surface... I assume to keep the wheels turning and prevent flat spots. BTW, thanks... they could use a little grease to keep them clean.

So much better than Springs. , The trunk and all the doors have the square sliders too on Formals

You painted it on? Sounds hard. Did a decorative painter do it? I have a full large format print shop at my disposal so I know they will get me the di noc I need just a matter of choosing between shades and making sure the pattern repeat is large enough to no look obvious on the car.

I taught myself how to do it. I had regrained the car once and found that the aftermarket Di-Noc was wanting...lots of shrinkage and associated wrinkling a year after application. Since I was spending the $$$ restoring the car I resolved myself to a woodgrain solution that would last forever.

I found a stain that works on metal (ZAR) and bought a sheet of steel, primered it, rolled it to match the bulge in the side of my car, and then practiced with a graining tool until I felt confident to grain the primered "canvas" that was the car. Once the stain was how I wanted it, I cleared over it.

I don't have many pics of the graining...most people are shocked that I did it myself. I'm happy with the result.
Auto-Show-226.jpg

Last edited:
That's awesome! 30 years ago I got certified in decorative painting in Toronto and wood graining was one of the skills. I never did any wood grain after that but I can appreciate the artistic hand required.

I taught myself how to do it. I had regrained the car once and found that the aftermarket Di-Noc was wanting...lots of shrinkage and associated wrinkling a year after application. Since I was spending the $$$ restoring the car I resolved myself to a woodgrain solution that would last forever.

I found a stain that works on metal (ZAR) and bought a sheet of steel, primered it, rolled it to match the bulge in the side of my car, and then practiced with a graining tool until I felt confident to grain the primered "canvas" that was the car. Once the stain was how I wanted it, I cleared over it.

I don't have many pics of the graining...most people are shocked that I did it myself. I'm happy with the result.
View attachment 118749
That's awesome! 30 years ago I got certified in decorative painting in Toronto and wood graining was one of the skills. I never did any wood grain after that but I can appreciate the artistic hand required.
I can vouch for Mr C's painting skills... that woodgrain blows my mind though. I know it has been done for many years (decades) but to see results like that on such a big exterior area is amazing to me.

Got my NOS hood hinge glides today. They are metal. The metal is knurled for the record. I will put them in tonight and do a comparison

IMG_2480.JPG

Back