A fighter pilot's story

tbm3fan

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Thought I would pass this on as some here would like to hear it. Down on the Hornet we have a Docent named Willie. Willie is 79 now and just spent 8 days in the ICU of two hospitals. He was being treated for infections of his shoulder, hip and knee. Willie lives by himself so he is not exactly the best at caring for himself. I last saw him four weeks ago and asked how he was doing being as how I knew he needed a another hip replacement. Willie is very gracious fellow. I remember 4th of July where he entertained a total woman stranger, much younger than him, who took a strong liking to him.

Now not many know that Willie was shot down over North Vietnam, captured and escaped all in one day. Willie earned his wings in 1964 and flew both the F-8 Crusader and the much rarer F-11 Tiger. One summer day over Haiphong his Crusader (the last of the gunfighters) is hit and he needs to eject. Willie is 26.

He lands in the middle of Haiphong Harbor which isn't the best place to land. He wrenched his shoulder during the ejection as ejection is never completely safe. He manages to get into his life raft and a Vietnamese junk comes up. The two men pull him onboard and the one with the rifle motions for him to hand his service revolver over to the other guy.

While this is going on Willie got a mayday out. From a carrier off shore two Spads show up to fly cover. They spot the junk, and come up behind the two Vietnamese, as quietly as a Spad can do. As they pass the guy with the rifle fires at the two planes. Willie turns and pulls out his personal revolver and shoots that man. You see his XO suggested to wives to get their husbands a second personal gun which could come in handy.

Now back to the other guy with his service revolver. He puts the gun on Willie and pulls the trigger. Nothing, blank. He pulls the trigger a second time. Nothing, blank again. Willie puts his gun on target and the guy jumps over the side. You see the XO suggested that his pilots keep and empty round or two in their service revolver just in case. The just in case was if his pilots were screwing around in their ship staterooms fooling around with their guns. Must have seen an accident or two. So Willie kept two empty.

After that Willie gets back into his life raft and paddles away from the harbor as the two Spads fly cover keeping all away from him. Soon a helo arrives to pick him up but they are still within range of harbor guns. So Willie needs to hangs onto the line and the helo hopscotches it's way out to the open ocean and safety.

Willie has been awarded the Navy Distinguished Flying Cross, 12 Air Medals, the Purple Heart and Navy Commendation with Combat V Medal. After the Navy he flew for United Airlines and was Captain of the year in 1999. We all wish a speedy recovery and his return to the ship. He specializes in showing off the F-8 cockpit and showing people how to fly it.

Great story, sounds like Willie is quite the guy. I bet he lots of stories from Nam

Great story, sounds like Willie is quite the guy. I bet he lots of stories from Nam

I don't know how many he would have being a carrier bound pilot. On the other hand there is another docent who was a Navy pilot at the time and then with United. He flew CODs out of Da Nang to the carriers daily. Now he has interesting stories dealing with that and ones dealing with R&R at Subic. His main claim about what made Subic great was all the good music you could find and hear. Cough, cough. The other docent with different stories flew Cobras near the Cambodian/Vietnamese border. Those stories you have to be in person as I would never write them out in public.

I don't know how many he would have being a carrier bound pilot. On the other hand there is another docent who was a Navy pilot at the time and then with United. He flew CODs out of Da Nang to the carriers daily. Now he has interesting stories dealing with that and ones dealing with R&R at Subic. His main claim about what made Subic great was all the good music you could find and hear. Cough, cough. The other docent with different stories flew Cobras near the Cambodian/Vietnamese border. Those stories you have to be in person as I would never write them out in public.

He sounds tough, seems like the kind of guy you want to have a beer with. I bet that he doesn't get free healthcare even though the shoulder is because of his war injuries, what a shame. I had a few grandparents that served in world war two, and it is always amazing what they went through during their service, usually at such a young age.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I had to look these up.
746290-air-conflicts-vietnam-ultimate-edition-playstation-4-screenshot.jpg
F11F_Tiger_NATC_in_flight.jpg

There is a youtube video of him talking about the part up to where he has to shoot the guy with the AK-47. Seems the story related to me regarding how the rifle toting man reacted to the Spad is a little different and in a ways worse for Willie as he pauses at this point regarding what he had to do.

There is a youtube video of him talking about the part up to where he has to shoot the guy with the AK-47. Seems the story related to me regarding how the rifle toting man reacted to the Spad is a little different and in a ways worse for Willie as he pauses at this point regarding what he had to do.

Thank you for sharing this story. This man has sacrificed more than I can imagine, in the name of protecting freedom. I am grateful for his sacrifice.

Wonderful story. Hats off to him! Just confused about one thing. I thought Spads were WWI biplanes!
If I am not mistaken...Slang term of the 60's era, for a slow moving, WW2 era close support aircraft then still in use. Used to help combatants on the ground in a variety of ways...can do things to help out, that fast moving jet fighters can't do. Like helping mark enemy positions with white phosphorous rockets....or strafe enemy positions with machine gun fire. Most people are familar with modern day equivalent: in the form of A-10 Warthog or helicopter gunships. Similar roles.

Those Skyraiders were the sh*t back in their day! As a kid I remember hearing stories about them providing cover for troops on the ground, as was said, the A-10 of it's day.

Last edited:
Back