A Newlife for the Newport

Thanks for bringing up this point. I hope these truly are new reproductions made of the better material. Lets see what they reply.

I sent a note to the seller this morning and I already have a reply back from him this afternoon. This is what he said:

"These are NOS valves. not recently manufactured or remanufactured"

Given this reply, I would suggest that anyone buying one of those valves use it on show cars not driven much, as the old plastic just doesn't hold up well and probably won't last more than a year or two at most before failing (cracking and leaking) under normal "driver" car use. Because the cracking starts with slow leaks usually, one can drive quite a while before noticing the loss in coolant and depending on how far away you are from home when this happens, it could leave you stranded.

That is why I recommend using the metal version that I recommended to ayilar which is the Everco H1949 valve for cars that are driven frequently.

I sent a note to the seller this morning and I already have a reply back from him this afternoon. This is what he said:

Given this reply, I would suggest that anyone buying one of those valves use it on show cars not driven much, as the old plastic just doesn't hold up well and probably won't last more than a year or two at most before failing (cracking and leaking) under normal "driver" car use. Because the cracking starts with slow leaks usually, one can drive quite a while before noticing the loss in coolant and depending on how far away you are from home when this happens, it could leave you stranded.

That is why I recommend using the metal version that I recommended to ayilar which is the Everco H1949 valve for cars that are driven frequently.

Thanks for your investigation. I might have to write to the seller myself. The ad is pretty misleading.

Thanks for your investigation. I might have to write to the seller myself. The ad is pretty misleading.

Given his reply, I told him the same thing and suggested he rewrite the listing as a result. We can watch to see if he does. He risks negative feedback the way it is.........................

I messaged the seller regarding the concerns of the valve being NOS rather then "NEW/recently made" and received a full refund. Got to keep the part too. Can't complain about that.

I was thinking of what I can do next now that I have the car back to ground zero mechanically. I was thinking of cleaning up the engine bay by first restoring the air cleaner lid since it is the biggest eye catcher. Much of the original paint flaked away as seen in the picture. Should I use paint stripper or have it sand blasted? Rattle can black or powder coat? Pros and cons of each method?

aircleaner.jpg

If you do decide to sand blast and rattle can it, or any other black stuff under the hood such as the inner fenders, remember to use a satin finish not flat or gloss.

Back