A right-hand drive 1970 Fury iii convertible in Australia

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just happened on this video of a Fury sporting a dark purple paint and a custom white-and-purple interior. The movie was shot at the Ballarat Rockabilly Festival 2020.

What struck me is the dash: it's a RHD car! Note that the ignition key switch is located on the dash, similar to 1969 U.S. models. The outside mirrors do not look right, though, which makes me wonder if this car is an aftermarket conversion. Perhaps our friends from down under will chime in?

@Oz Sport Fury (who, if memory serves, owns a RHD slab-side Fury) @crv @Imperial Pete @Dunno-Mate @Dactor68 @LeBaron1973

Last edited:
Just happened on this video of a Fury sporting a dark purple paint and a custom white-and-purple interior. The movie was shot at the Ballarat Rockabilly Festival 2020.

What struck me is the dash: it's a RHD car! Note that the ignition key switch is located on the dash, similar to 1969 U.S. models. The outside mirrors do not look right, though, which makes me wonder if this car is an aftermarket conversion. Perhaps our friends from down under will chime in?

@Oz Sport Fury (who, if memory serves, owns a RHD slab-side Fury) @crv @Imperial Pete @Dunno-Mate @Dactor68 @LeBaron1973

Looks like a 69 right hand drive dash.

In Australia we got Plymouth Fury's re badges as Dodge Phoenix's.
You could get a 4 door sedan with a 318, bench seat and power steering or a 4 door hardtop with 383 2 barrel, bucket seats and power steering. You could option the under dash A/C.
Unfortunately just poverty packs.
This convertible looks to have one of the RH drive dashes used.
Unfortunately the lower ball joints, idler and pitman arm are RH drive only and are unobtanium.

In Australia we got Plymouth Fury's re badges as Dodge Phoenix's.
You could get a 4 door sedan with a 318, bench seat and power steering or a 4 door hardtop with 383 2 barrel, bucket seats and power steering. You could option the under dash A/C.
Unfortunately just poverty packs.
This convertible looks to have one of the RH drive dashes used.
Unfortunately the lower ball joints, idler and pitman arm are RH drive only and are unobtanium.
Sorry if I am slow in getting to the bottom line: does your reply indicate that this Fury 'vert was modified using Dodge Phoenix 4dr parts?

Standard RHD dash used in the Australian Phoenix '69-'72 (the last of the Phoenix models were sold early in1972 prior to the release of the local CH Chrysler by Chrysler, which became the luxury offering, the CXC was available in 4-door sedan and 2-door Hardtop designs). Forgot to mention, they've used a RHD steering column as well, transmission selector is on the correct side for Australia (left of the steering wheel), something overlooked in a lot of converted cars.

Appears to be well done. Not sure if it "was required".
At one point, was it law all imported cars had to be RHD?
When was it no longer necessary to do the RHD conversion?
Are separate or designated rear turn signals still required?
For example, there is a famous 69 Daytona that was imported and converted when it was still "law".

FpUOOfIWIAIb6vn.jpeg

FpUOOfIWIAEENMj.jpeg

FpUOOfEWcAMCi0m.jpeg

Yeah at one stage in the past you had to convert to RH Drive. Definitely in the mid 1980's you still had to. Reason I did not buy a Dodge Charger as my first car. The conversions left a lot to be desired especially if you had A/C, power windows etc. I think this requirement changed in the late 90's.
Now vehicles of 30 years of age and older you don't have to convert. Some people have issues driving LH Drive cars here so some still get converted to RHD.
1968 onwards built cars need to have separate orange colored indicators.
Yep that's the orange Daytona with the flared rear quarters, deep dish mags with MT Indy Profile tyres and jacked up a mile. The dash on that car doesn't look too bad, some have had dashes from local built Valiants fitted which looks very average..............

Yeah at one stage in the past you had to convert to RH Drive. Definitely in the mid 1980's you still had to. Reason I did not buy a Dodge Charger as my first car. The conversions left a lot to be desired especially if you had A/C, power windows etc. I think this requirement changed in the late 90's.
Now vehicles of 30 years of age and older you don't have to convert. Some people have issues driving LH Drive cars here so some still get converted to RHD.
1968 onwards built cars need to have separate orange colored indicators.
Yep that's the orange Daytona with the flared rear quarters, deep dish mags with MT Indy Profile tyres and jacked up a mile. The dash on that car doesn't look too bad, some have had dashes from local built Valiants fitted which looks very average..............
Not in every State/Territory, in the ACT and Northern Territory it was legal to register new LHD vehicles even then, hence the number of ex-US embassy/military bases cars which eventually were sold to the public in LHD form.

Back