A Tour of the McCandless Museum Wherein are Many Outstanding Forward Look Cars and some Related History of the Period

saforwardlook

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here is a video tour of a great Mopar Collection - it was this era of cars that made me Chrysler crazy. One of the family members of this collection is on our site as most of you probably know.........

Here is a video tour of a great Mopar Collection - it was this era of cars that made me Chrysler crazy. One of the family members of this collection is on our site as most of you probably know.........

I just watched that show, Fletch should have good ones coming up as he tours the US.

The Forward Look Chrysler products were some of the greatest-looking cars on the road back then and especially now. Some great cars in that collection and lots of neat stories in Herb's head. Thanks for posting this @saforwardlook!

Although I'm a bit younger than Herb, I also know how great it was to grow up back then and be "into cars". So much new stuff every year, or even every 1/2 year. When I was about 4.5, my parents bought a new '56 Savoy 4-dr sedan. That car took us everywhere, back then. With an intermediary '61 BelAir, then came our '66 Newport Town Sedan in late 1966, which I still have.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

went there with the Plymouth club March 18th for their open house...awesome collection...everything there has amazing history...bonneville, mexican road race,the drag cars...the forward looks aren't just excellent restorations they are all rarities...i think every one had dual quad big blocks...Buddy Martin and Herb signing autographs etc

I saw their new Sox & Martin pit car replica at Chryslers @ Carlisle this year. My friend in Long Island sold his car to them and they converted it. Here is my two Chrysler UK classics. In the forground a 1969 Sunbeam Alpine coupe with 5k original miles on it and behind it a 1972 Plymouth Cricket, the same car that was the pit car.

IMG_8343.JPG

Some background. Dad randomly went to Texas for Goodguys and didn't tell me till he left. He totally forgot fletch was coming. Fletch planned it months in advance. There was no possible way for Dad to make it back in time for the short window Fletch had to record this. I ended up flying my Dad and his girlfriend back to NC and paid a hauler to meet him in a parking lot near the airport and bring the car to me. Dads flight had all types of complications and didn't get in till 2am, they recorded the next morning. This is dad on a few hours of sleep after a crazy 48h trying to pull this together. I love my dad, but I swear, some days haha.

Some background. Dad randomly went to Texas for Goodguys and didn't tell me till he left. He totally forgot fletch was coming. Fletch planned it months in advance. There was no possible way for Dad to make it back in time for the short window Fletch had to record this. I ended up flying my Dad and his girlfriend back to NC and paid a hauler to meet him in a parking lot near the airport and bring the car to me. Dads flight had all types of complications and didn't get in till 2am, they recorded the next morning. This is dad on a few hours of sleep after a crazy 48h trying to pull this together. I love my dad, but I swear, some days haha.
If I am understanding correctly, you the one who set up the collection and did the displays - just a superb work of art - everything is just really amazing.

Yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with history. Just love having a place dad can have people come to and talk about his history while sharing the stuff I love as well.

Yes, I have an unhealthy obsession with history. Just love having a place dad can have people come to and talk about his history while sharing the stuff I love as well.
65 --
I'm another old fud like your dad (perhaps a year older) and could you ask him a question for me? What's his take on the '59 DeSoto Adventurer 2X4V 383 being advertised at 350 HP, but the same 383 CID 2X4V engine in the '59 Dodge D500 at 345 (both engines came out of the same plant, the Trenton North Engine Plant)? I also suspect the '60-61 SonoRamic 383 and the Dart ram D500 were a bit hotter than the 330 listed in the specs, primarily because the ram 383, except for displacement, is basically the same as the standard ram 413 (cam, piston configuration, ignition, carburation, etc.). Thus if the 383 is 93% the size of the 413, theoretically with all other components being equal, it should develop 93% of the power of the 413. The standard ram 413 in the 300F was said to be 375 horses, so the ram 383's, with 93% of the displacement of the 413, should produce of 93% of the ponies that the 413 does, or some 350. That 350 is an interesting figure as that was the advertised output was on the 2X4V '59 383s (albeit the 2X4V '59s had in-line manifolds).
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Vette Fuelie, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed

Back