A727 Education Needed

MJFUR

Reaction score
I need some education on the A727 TF. Trying to dial in a newly installed/rebuilt A727 with 2000 rpm tq converter. Engine is a 505ci with 3.23 Sure Grip.

To start with, the Service Manual has you adjust the Transmission Lever all the way forward with the carb at idle. With that accomplished, when at wide open throttle, the transmission lever is not all the way aft. It can be manually moved another 1/2" - 3/4". There's more travel on the Transmission Lever than there is on the Throttle linkage. Is it more important to be all the way forward at idle or all the way aft at Wide Open Throttle?

I feel like the transmission isn't kicking down into 1st gear as it should and/or staying in 1st gear as long as it should. At 20-30mph, go full throttle and it just pulls in 2nd gear. What determines/controls "kick down" and/or how long it stays in 1st gear?

What would a higher TQ Converter do in this application?

Thx

20220228_140131.jpg

Needs to be all the way back at WOT. Of not then it’s bad for the trans. Don’t drive it that way, make it right first.

what carb? Aftermarket? There is a mopar throttle adapter that bolts on Carbs to make it correct Geometry.

Needs to be all the way back at WOT. Of not then it’s bad for the trans. Don’t drive it that way, make it right first.

what carb? Aftermarket? There is a mopar throttle adapter that bolts on Carbs to make it correct Geometry.
The carb is an original 4640S reworked by Woodruff Carbs. The correct parts are in place. The geometry may be different due to the Edelbrock Intake Manifold. I welded in a piece of steel to raise the throttle bracket.

20220523_141128.jpg

Check the FSM for correct procedures, even with the changes.

Not being concerned with the amount of travel in the trans kickdown linkage, I adjusted my '70 Monaco 383 4bbl to just upshift, at min throttle, 2-3, at 25mph. Just a tad higher than it did before, but works well. 3.23 w/JR78-15 tires. No durability issues, but it just feels better where I ended up adjusting it to. Stock governor, too.

FWIW,
CBODY67

Back