AC COMPRESSOR INSTALL

nama7

Reaction score
I finally got to start installing my Vintage Air system. The instructions say to replace the heater hose fitting on the intake manifold with a 45 deg fitting. Can I move the heater hose fitting to the hole that has the plug in it? I think it would be a better fit. I may use a 45 deg. eventually, but I kinda want to use he hole that is plugged. The engine is a 1974 318 LA. I bypassed the heater for now and the hose goes over to the water pump fitting.

20231003_120849.jpg

20231003_100920.jpg

You can use that port by removing the plug. Extra hole was for a ported vacuum switch that was temperature sensitive on some applications.

Dave

Back to the drawing board. I tried to remove the plug with my impact wrench and modified 3/8" extension and it did not move. I am very reluctant to even try to remove the hose fitting. There isn't any room to put a pipe wrench on the nipple either. Time to buy a 55 gallon drum of Penetrating Oil to free up that plug before I break something.

if it laughed at an impact gun i'd leave it alone and go back to a 45...probably have to pull temp sensor and thermostat housing to get any access...you're not going to get any penetrant down the threads of a plug that's sealed with paint...so if you have your heart set on getting it out we're talking torches

Last edited:
if it laughed at an impact gun i'd leave it alone and go back to a 45...probably have to pull temp sensor and thermostat housing to get any access...you're not going to get any penetrant down the threads of a plug that's sealed with paint...so if you have your heart set on getting it out we're talking torches
I don't think I trust myself with a torch under my hood. In hopes there would be enough room for a 90 deg hose.

The plug comes out easy enough by drilling, then make 4 vertical cuts just short of the threads with a Dremel.
A 3/4 impact with adaptor has usually been able to remove them for me.

Getting that plug out would be my preference.

Last edited:
If all else fails, I plug/cap both heater hose connections and not worry about it. This is Florida. By the way, it does get cold here.

After a very long amount of time and effort I got the fittings installed. I am hopeful nothing leaks. Now I need to know what size AC Condenser to buy. The opening is approximately 23 1/2 X 18 inches. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

20231013_165208 - Copy.jpg

20231014_163431.jpg

20231016_085922 - Copy.jpg

20231005_123400.jpg

No leaks so far! And I found my missing radiator clamp. Right where I left it. at the thermostat housing. Duh

Last edited:
I just ordered a 16 X 20 Condenser with installed Drier from Nostalgic Air. Looking forward to getting this job completed.

I have been dealing with Estate matters and a wrist operation as well. I am now getting a little closer to finishing the AC system. I am waiting for a #10, 90 deg fitting. I still need to route the heater hoses, route the defrost/heat hose, drain line, and complete mounting the evaporator. I originally ordered a Kit off ebay and just got around to doing the install. A complete waste of time and money. I tried to get my money back, but it had been too long. I decided to go with the EZ Clip System and it is really easy to do. I found this company on ebay, heavy_air (1330). Good prices and free shipping. I am very pleased with the service and quality.

20231028_181000.jpg

20231028_181036.jpg

20231116_112447.jpg

Back